Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Password protection

Password protection

I have been concerned about my passwords - protecting, accessing, autofill, etc. I had a 'rogue installer' that I apparently triggered in error. Now I use Chrome and DuckDuckGo on my laptop computer. When Apple repair switched my system from Safari to Chrome in order to add Adblock, I lost access to all my passwords. Fortunately I had them all on my iPhone. I don't feel secure about having the passwords to everything in my life so readily accessible.

I have asked around for solutions and yesterday it was suggested that I look at 'Keeper'. It seems like a good solution, readily affordable at $30 (probably us$) per annum and would cover both my devices. I looked at references for this online and they do seem positive. Any pros or cons or things that I should be aware of before I sign up?
    TIA
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I love 1Password.

As a bonus my son-in-law works for them and keeps me up to date with changes and how to best utilize it.

Following.

At work we have a new IT guy who is very gung tho on passwords and security. Apparently having them all on a spreadsheet tab labelled passwords didn't work for him!

I've had my identity stolen, and thought in personal life I was adequately protected. So much to learn, though.

I use a simple scheme for generating unique passwords that I can remember.

Uncommonword_Number_Name-of-Service_WackyPunctiation

So, like:

Platypus666Amazon!@#

Platypus666Ebay!@#

My DIL is a cybersecurity expert for Dow Jones, so I do pet's name uppercase+year he was born+special character. Works every time! (Actually, my DIL had nothing to do with that scheme. She probably accepts those crazy auto-generated passwords.)

I did have some problems with identity theft through Yahoo, but I generally trust I'll be pretty safe. I try not to worry too much. I do tons of online banking and buying. Haven't lost any money yet.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My step son worked in computer security in the military. He said to make up a sentence with a few numbers after it. You only use the first letter of every word. I used sentences I can remember.

Ok, day one with IT guy providing my passwords and I'm not a fan. He used the internet to generate a random string, then copy pasted it in my machine. He then read it off to me, for me to use. Well, there was both a lower case l and a numeral one, but he said there were two l's. Locked out for five minutes due to too many retries. Next he gave me a string with a zero, but called it an "oh". I used the letter - lockout! Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
    Ok, day one with IT guy providing my passwords and I'm not a fan. He used the internet to generate a random string, then copy pasted it in my machine. He then read it off to me, for me to use. Well, there was both a lower case l and a numeral one, but he said there were two l's. Locked out for five minutes due to too many retries. Next he gave me a string with a zero, but called it an "oh". I used the letter - lockout! Ugh.
    oh yeah, I remember those days of going around with IT and their O0’s and l1 characters in password security.
    But it’s your fault.

Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
    The way around that is to simply not use the characters i, l, and o or the digits 0 or 1. Substitute a less ambiguous letter or digit. Z+0l5q1N becomes Z+9r5q3N . No less "crackable" and less prone to transcription errors.

I use a password manager. I used to use a system similar to bae's but once some lax Web site exposes your password, it's not that hard to figure out others. A system like TT's is stronger but I have dozens of passwords to various sites and remembering phrases for that many sites just wasn't tenable -- especially when some sites age out passwords after a year or some other time period.

I use 1Password on my Mac and iPhone. In fact, I subscribe to the Family version of the app so DW and even MiL in another city can use it. I like their proactivity in reacting to new attack vectors and it's so easy to use that it actually gets used. It's also a good place to store those security/verification questions many sites impose. There are other decent apps out there. Friends of mine use LastPass and I know there are fans of KeePass out there. I've chosen to stay with 1Password, though.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    The way around that is to simply not use the characters i, l, and o or the digits 0 or 1...
    Well no kidding! Back in my working days I wasnt in control of some of these decisions.

But I really do need to use password protector software.

Thread Information