Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Boy, that Dow

At the peak of this, finding repair people might be difficult, so it's not wrong to consider power outages, equipment failures, etc. when planning.

Starting to see pleas for toilet paper on Nextdoor from people who are elderly or sick. I recall helping a friend clear out an estate when I first moved here. The basement had a whole wall of toilet paper and paper towels, another of canned foods, light bulbs etc. We learned that the owner had stocked up for Y2K and that stuff was still sitting there 20 years later. I think as he grew old he was not able to go downstairs and had no friends or family.

Looked at portfolio today. All gains from when trump came into office are gone! Not sure what to do. Just quit looking, I guess. Makes my stomach churn.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Looked at portfolio today. All gains from when trump came into office are gone! Not sure what to do. Just quit looking, I guess. Makes my stomach churn.
    I haven't looked since January and I may not look again until next January. Ostrich strategy has served me well so far.

My son keeps buying more

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I haven't looked since January and I may not look again until next January. Ostrich strategy has served me well so far.
    I finally looked the other day and was relieved to only be down several hundred thousand, I thought it might have been more. I'll look again in mid-summer in hopes that we'll be on our way back to where we were.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I finally looked the other day and was relieved to only be down several hundred thousand, I thought it might have been more. I'll look again in mid-summer in hopes that we'll be on our way back to where we were.
    Ditto. I only draw $1000/month to add to our budget so I'm not going to worry about it. I pay someone else to worry about it he is worth every penny too!

Yeah, all my stocks have tanked except for the few shares I have in a cannabis company. Go figure.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I rebalance back to 60/40 at the end of the quarter. It’s been said that these are the sort of period where most of the money gets made, even if it doesn’t feel like it at the time.

I’m a firm believer in the salutary ignorance of day to day market movements. It’s a bit difficult in extreme cases like now, but I try to heed the advice to be greedy when others are fearful.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post

I’m a firm believer in the salutary ignorance of day to day market movements. It’s a bit difficult in extreme cases like now, but I try to heed the advice to be greedy when others are fearful.
    It's true that our American/capitalist culture has turned greed from being one of the 7 deadly sins into being a virtue, but "buy low" is not a definition of greed IMHO.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information