Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Boy, that Dow

There's some good discussion here! I had a few more thoughts since reading your comments. I agree that there are going to be some long term economic effects from the COVID-19 crisis. When the market comes back, I feel it won't be as high for awhile, and perhaps not the same. I think people were over confident and complacent when the market was rising. But I kept feeling we were due for something to happen, something to shake things up. I don't know how strong our economy really is and I don't expect to get the truth from the White House. And yes, we could be facing implications from climate change very soon. I don't think there is good leadership in the White House - they would rather cover things up or bury their heads in the sand. Honestly, I felt more of a sense of panic when the stock market was rising so fast, because it felt like a house of cards.

I am just a bit worried about things like state pensions (like mine) for the long haul. So many are invested heavily in the market.

My world is so busy - long hours - cause I work in a hospital. So this weekend I’m loving it at home!

I worked a couple of 12 and 14 hour days this week. Extra meetings to be sure we are completely ready when we get our first case, lots of staff education and reassurance as we ruled out a few cases this week, etc.

Boredom at home is difficult. But my life will be the opposite I fear for the next few months ...

With a little luck this will mostly blow over in a month or two and it will be a matter of how long and if things can claw back to normal. I think as long as people don't panic and start having some bizarre social behaviors, the financial outlook is bad but not disastrous. A concern I had last week that showed up in a couple of reputable financial sources was that there was a low demand for treasuries. Usually that is the safe haven where money goes when the stock market is going down. Also precious metals, another safe haven for some were also down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    My world is so busy - long hours - cause I work in a hospital.
    Boredom at home is difficult. But my life will be the opposite I fear for the next few months ...
    I am lighting a candle and thinking of you, Tammy, and all the nurses, radiologists, physicians, PAs, and every sort of worker who is on the front-line of health service as the number of cases grows.

Appreciated!

Tammy, it’s people like you that mean the difference between life and death for many people. Yet you also have to look out for yourselves. Sending lots of love and light for whatever you decide.

Thanks. I don’t see that I have a decision to make. I’ve often wondered I would do in a pandemic. But I’ve discovered that what I do is keep going to work because that’s the only thing that makes sense.

The situation seems to be changing by the day. Who knows as this point where the market is headed and how long it will take to recover. I don’t wish to sound doom and gloom, but what with an unknown virus, climate change deniers in the White House, more quantitative easing, a fortune being spent on foreign wars, I don’t have a lot of confidence in our government or the economy right now.

I think the best thing to do is what we here at Simple Living are doing or striving to do. Live within our means, stay out of debt, and have a solid emergency fund.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly View Post

I think the best thing to do is what we here at Simple Living are doing or striving to do. Live within our means, stay out of debt, and have a solid emergency fund.
    I agree, Molly. It is a good reminder of the importance of all three of those actions. Thank you!

Thread Information