Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Boy, that Dow

I pulled a hefty sum out in July to pay for a new camper and pickup truck to tow it with. Over these past 4 months the market has replaced every cent I took out, I feel like my big ticket purchases were free.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I pulled a hefty sum out in July to pay for a new camper and pickup truck to tow it with. Over these past 4 months the market has replaced every cent I took out, I feel like my big ticket purchases were free.
    yeah, same here! I wonder if I can pull enough for another convertible out this time, maybe I’ll get a white one instead.

Most of mine is in tax deferred, if I pull any more it will cost me 24%. I’ll probably pull some out in January, but stay under the 24% amount.

if it looks like warren or Bernie has a chance I’ll go to mostly cash and possible pull a good chunk out, pay the taxes now.

Well, when I say “pull out” I mean I moved gains from an index fund to cd type fund, all within my 401k equivalent account. The money to purchase my new car came from existing cash accounts.

DH gets pale when I talk about pulling out gains because he worries about the tax consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    We have always had a huge chunk in cash as my insurance policy. Allows me to look at the market with less emotional involvement.
    I wish I knew what percentage of our financial assets are in cash or cash equivalents like CDs.

You could say “well Iris why don’t you figure it out “ but you know what? It’s kind of complicated. I am actually thinking about sending it all to my main investment guy and just say dude, figure this out for me, willya? Up to now we have kept the investment guys segregated from each other.

I hadnt bothered looking at my etrade account in a few months but was inspired by this thread to do so. While it is up about 17% for the year it actually said that i was down about .5% for the day today. 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I hadnt bothered looking at my etrade account in a few months but was inspired by this thread to do so. While it is up about 17% for the year it actually said that i was down about .5% for the day today. 樂
    You didnt catch it at 3 pm. It ended only a bit ip feom yesterday. But yesterday was good.

I've let my investments run with the winds the last couple of years and am in the middle of consolidating and re balancing. I'll be trying to stick to my fixed income to equity goal and am glad for whatever run up we've had, but the PE's on stocks are getting to be a little high for my tastes. I only wish interest rates were a little higher. It seems like any more the system is set up to get into a little more risk than I like just to keep up with inflation.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    We don’t pay a lot of attention but stick to some basic rules as we always have.
    Set you stock/bond/cash allocation and rebalance every six months or so,
    don’t panic or react to what you think would affect the market. Sometimes we hear some news and think the market is going to crash or soar and it often does the opposite
    taxes are inevitable if you want schools, roads and disaster help if a hurricane, tornado, earthquake, flood, fire etc. hits.

It really is interesting that really only the more wealthy citizens in the country own most of the stocks. Depending on where you are getting your facts, the top ten percent own about 84% of all the stocks. Capital builds more wealth even if you have a modest amount in the stock market, while the bottom economic half of the country see little to no gain. As was true with the tax cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post

It really is interesting that really only the more wealthy citizens in the country own most of the stocks. Depending on where you are getting your facts, the top ten percent own about 84% of all the stocks. Capital builds more wealth even if you have a modest amount in the stock market, while the bottom economic half of the country see little to no gain. As was true with the tax cuts.
    To the bolded: That is exactly the statistic that gives Warren her next cut at “wealth” taxing. After the 1% are the 10%ers.
    Not hard to reach down to them, and that includes many people here.

Thread Information