Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Boy, that Dow

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    To the bolded: That is exactly the statistic that gives Warren her next cut at “wealth” taxing. After the 1% are the 10%ers.
    Not hard to reach down to them, and that includes many people here.
    exactly. The same old argument that will never get resolved, especially on a discussion forum. And it is getting increasingly difficult to decipher what it all means and what is tru with all the tweeting, texting, options etc that bombard us everyday.

When I worked for the state I was amazed at the number of people that didn’t participate in the deferred compensation program. It’s the first thing I did when I got the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    When I worked for the state I was amazed at the number of people that didn’t participate in the deferred compensation program. It’s the first thing I did when I got the job.
    It’s also sad how many people borrow against them, cash them out when terminating or even forget about them. Another thing I sometimes saw was people who didn’t update their deferred compensation or pension beneficiaries after a divorce. Years later when the participant died, there were some very perturbed current spouses. I swear a lot of folks put more thought into their Black Friday strategy than planning their retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    It’s also sad how many people borrow against them, cash them out when terminating or even forget about them. Another thing I sometimes saw was people who didn’t update their deferred compensation or pension beneficiaries after a divorce. Years later when the participant died, there were some very perturbed current spouses. I swear a lot of folks put more thought into their Black Friday strategy than planning their retirement.
    Dollar cost averaging takes time. People want $ growth to be instant, so they don't even bother to start.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Dollar cost averaging takes time. People want $ growth to be instant, so they don't even bother to start.
    that is so true. My kids have coworkers in their forties who just haven’t gotten around to starting retirement savings. I dn’t Know who they think is going to take care of them when they get old.

Geez. I’m at the other end of the spectrum. I was super excited when i got old enough to be able to do the ‘catch up’ contributions to my 401k. And with a 100% employer match on the first 6% this seems like a real no brainer.

Thinking about beneficiaries, SO had a roommate before we moved in together who had not updated his durable power of medical attorney after he broke up with his boyfriend. Two years later, in his early 30’s he came down with encephalitis. The ex had to come back to NJ (current boyfriend in tow) to make the decision to end life support.

In this day and age it's expecting way too much from employers.

If I have a 401k, I can't figure out how to use it, and I suspect it may not really exist, but I'll pour through fine print maybe (see I was told one existed initially ...). Anyway there is no matching (if there even is a 401k), I've put no money into it (so it's not like I've lost track of actual money here). And so it doesn't really matter, I know how to put money into an IRA on my own thanks and do.

Meanwhile my boyfriend is enrolled in a 401k that seems like a scam, like the employer literally seems to maybe be pocketing the money (oh that guy is sleazy who knows), so I keep telling him to verify that it's legit (ask the brokerage if an account really exists, because maybe it does and it's legit, it's just things smell really funny there).

Most 401ks aren't scams of course, but depending on employers having them, yea good luck with that.

I just kiss the ground I've got decent employer healthcare. Unlike IRAs which are a 401k alternative although alas not as generous, options for decent healthcare coverage outside of employment is pretty much non-existent presently.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post

If I have a 401k, I can't figure out how to use it, and I suspect it may not really exist, but I'll pour through fine print maybe (see I was told one existed initially ...). Anyway there is no matching (if there even is a 401k), I've put no money into it (so it's not like I've lost track of actual money here). And so it doesn't really matter, I know how to put money into an IRA on my own thanks and do..
    What you are loosing is the ability to put more $ away pre-tax. HR should give you all 401k information. Call benefits!

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post

If I have a 401k, I can't figure out how to use it, and I suspect it may not really exist, but I'll pour through fine print maybe (see I was told one existed initially ...). Anyway there is no matching (if there even is a 401k), I've put no money into it (so it's not like I've lost track of actual money here). And so it doesn't really matter, I know how to put money into an IRA on my own thanks and do.

Meanwhile my boyfriend is enrolled in a 401k that seems like a scam, like the employer literally seems to maybe be pocketing the money (oh that guy is sleazy who knows), so I keep telling him to verify that it's legit (ask the brokerage if an account really exists, because maybe it does and it's legit, it's just things smell really funny there).

Most 401ks aren't scams of course, but depending on employers having them, yea good luck with that.

I just kiss the ground I've got decent employer healthcare. Unlike IRAs which are a 401k alternative although alas not as generous, options for decent healthcare coverage outside of employment is pretty much non-existent presently.
    Every 401k I've ever had included statements sent to me every month...

I would call HR and I track down info on the 401k. Glad you have an IRA, too.

Thread Information