Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Boy, that Dow

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    No one ever knows the "perfect" time. But I think there's been enough growth to at least rebalance or take some profits and move them wherever you want/need them. We've been pretty aggressive all along but are pulling that back a little as we approach retirement. Moving some of that money around is on my immediate-action to-do list.
    Great point, Steve--for many it is definitely time to rebalance to get back to their chosen asset allocation.

The question of what is an appropriate asset allocation for retirement years is of course another related topic, and they are both important.

We pulled some of the money out of stocks a few months ago.

It just keeps getting better. I may need to rebalance again soon.

Yesterday’s mail brought a statement from my pension fund, City of St. Louis. Their pension fund managed to lose assets in 2019, down from 2018. Brilliant.

I just re balanced a few months ago, but I'm looking to do it again. I try to keep up with a few general articles about any future stock performance and am not seeing many warning signs, but I don't think this can keep up for much longer. As they say, past performance does not guarantee future returns.

29, 219. Has anyone else spent the last few months saying no, I won't get in now, it's overvalued? Like, saying that every other day?

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    29, 219. Has anyone else spent the last few months saying no, I won't get in now, it's overvalued? Like, saying that every other day?
    No, I stay invested in my asset allocation, pretty strictly. I have 2 years of cash so I don't have to worry about selling in a down market.
    If I could still buy govt farm bonds for 11% like back in the good old days, I'd have it all in fixed income.
    But you can't make enough on fixed income, so out into the market I go.
    Well, some people have enough that they can make enough, and that's what I would do if I were rich, I guess.

I guess for me it's a case of FOMO. I do have enough bond income to live, although it would be a tight budget. But I have some cash that I could have invested in stock even as late as November when this thread started, and gotten an amazing return. fear of missing out vs. fear of jumping in. I really gotta work on my risk aversion!

Maybe, maybe you just need to figure out an asset allocation you are happy with?

Two books I have really liked at Gillette Edmunds Comfort Zone Investing

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...ce%2Bof%2Bmind

and this retirement book by Wes Moss:

https://www.amazon.com/You-Retire-So...s%2C174&sr=8-1

They both help me to conceptualize a life in retirement, and the Edmunds book is really different--goes into the psychology of different asset classes, and helps me to figure out why I like what I like and why some things feel bad to me. The Edmunds book is a sleeper, I think. It's different, but it's helped expand my thinking about investing.

So how high can this go before it evens out or crashes? I've never seen anything like this in my many years of investing.

Thread Information