Thread: Vision Improving?

Yppej

Vision Improving?

My new eyeglass prescription is a full point lower in my left eye and .75 lower in my right eye. It's a different doctor and my last exam was two and a half years ago. Has anyone nearsighted had their vision sphere get better with time? It seems with age it should be getting worse, but I have heard anecdotally that it is now trendy for doctors to underprescribe.

I am reluctant to spend money filling a prescription that might be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    My new eyeglass prescription is a full point lower in my left eye and .75 lower in my right eye. It's a different doctor and my last exam was two and a half years ago. Has anyone nearsighted had their vision sphere get better with time? It seems with age it should be getting worse, but I have heard anecdotally that it is now trendy for doctors to underprescribe.

I am reluctant to spend money filling a prescription that might be wrong.
    I've never heard of this! I would call and discuss before ordering new glasses.

Yppej: I've been told more than once that my vision had improved a tiny bit. I've also had it happen over time that one of my eyes was "over-corrected," and I would find myself sometimes reading with one eye closed. My next exam and prescription was a little less strong for that eye and it resolved the matter.

Yppej
    Thank you RR. I am reading online that presbyopia from the lenses hardening, which makes us need reading glasses as we age, lessens myopia. But at some point the hardening results in cataracts so it is not all good for curing myopia.

I am nearsighted. I’m going to be vague here because I don’t remember details, but there was a period where my eyesight stabilized and then I seem to remember that a prescription or two got slightly better, so I don’t think it’s unusual. But I also think these prescriptions are not a perfect science— How many times do you get tired of “is this better or is that better” and I lose track when I’m sitting in the chair which view is better.

DH pointed out to me this morning that our eyesight can Be different on some days than on others.

I have improved in my far vision, which I've heard from the doc is not unusual. In fact, I don't even need glasses for my distance-seeing and the doc suggested I get cheap reading glasses, but I still chose to get the progressive lenses with clear glass on top. It's just a lot more convenient.

I think the reason some things improve depends on whether the muscle connected to them is loosening up, or tightening.......in which case it can cause improvement.

For me, it's the ONLY thing that has improved with age. hahaha

I've read anecdotal reports of people's vision improving markedly with decreased A1C and insulin output. Blood sugar issues are notorious for vision damage.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am nearsighted. I’m going to be vague here because I don’t remember details, but there was a period where my eyesight stabilized and then I seem to remember that a prescription or two got slightly better, so I don’t think it’s unusual. But I also think these prescriptions are not a perfect science— How many times do you get tired of “is this better or is that better” and I lose track when I’m sitting in the chair which view is better.

DH pointed out to me this morning that our eyesight can Be different on some days than on others.
    I know - I always feel like I'm being tested on subject matter I didn't study adequately!

Went in very recently, after my last eye Dr. retired 4 years ago. Far vision had improved, as it does in age somewhat, reading glasses, got worse. My last eye doc, family worked for, so I have heard the improvement thing before.

My last eye doc appointment he said my vision had improved one notch in both eyes and reading had gotten one notch worse. So he just lessened the distance by one step. I was amazed at how much this improved my reading vision.

Since I only wear my glasses at the beginning and end of the day I've never spent the money to make them bifocals. I'm at the point where I have to pull them to the very end of my nose, or remove them entirely, if I want to read something. It's kind of cool being able to hold something right up against my face and be able to read the tiny print easily.

Thread Information