Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wonders of modern medicine

Wonders of modern medicine

Apology in advance for not jumping on the Bandwagon of “United States healthcare is sh$tz” and etc. in victimology. But I can’t help it if I have a super great incident to report, right?

DH has always had extremely bad eyesight. He is scary blind without eyeglasses. He has always disliked swimming because he cannot see without glasses.His spectacles cost over $1,000 when we buy new frames and lenses, so usually we just bought the lenses, very expensive. (I will not whine here about having no vision insurance because you know what? We just write a check for it. We are grownups who can afford this stuff because we budget for it. Anyway…)

So, he had cataract surgery. He waited until he was on the government dole because it was less out of our pocket covered by Medicare than when it was covered by our previous insurance. Still I think both lenses will cost over $6000 out of our pocket. And that is perfectly OK because…

… He now has nearly perfect vision after the surgery.!!! His surgeon got a new kind of lens not used before, and he had a wonderful outcome from it. She used it first on him. Others in her practice have followed in the 2+ weeks since his surgery and she says is it outperforming her expectations.

we are going out to dinner tonight to celebrate these successful eye operationS. Never did we think in previous times that, as an old man, he would get better vision. The miraculous Lasik surgery of decades ago wouldn't help him.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 11-8-19 at 10:08am.

I wholeheartedly agree with you IL.

Having worked on the inside for the recent 39 years, the surgical improvement of health and well-being in this country is astounding. The changes during that time are nothing less than miraculous from my perspective. The advances in disease diagnosis and management are unbelievable to me.

I am the proud carrier of a knee replacement. 1 year out, I didn't even know I'd had surgery let alone that big one. I sure don't miss that knee pain

My wife is getting cataract surgery soon. We have a appointment in a few weeks to discuss. This will be out of pocket for us and she needs to decide which lens she wants. There are a few to chose from.

which one did your husband get?

Glad it worked so well for your husband! I got the surgery 2 years ago because I couldn't drive at night.My insurance paid for some but it still cost me 3k. I guess I should have waited for Medicare age.

Yppej
    So his eyes were always bad but he had to wait until he developed cataracts for the eye surgery to be covered as medically necessary, and now they not only removed the cataracts but took care of all his other vision issues at the same time as medically necessary?

Y, when they remove cataracts they have to put a new eye lens in. There are different ones to choose from. For instance you can have one eye made for close vision and one for distance.

My wife is getting cataract surgery soon. We have a appointment in a few weeks to discuss. This will be out of pocket for us and she needs to decide which lens she wants. There are a few to chose from.

which one did your husband get?
    I am pretty sure this is it.

/https://www.alcon.com/media-release/...y-fda-approved
    Last edited by iris lilies; 11-6-19 at 8:48pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    So his eyes were always bad but he had to wait until he developed cataracts for the eye surgery to be covered as medically necessary, and now they not only removed the cataracts but took care of all his other vision issues at the same time as medically necessary?
    There was not a surgical option prior to this. If there had been, we would have paid for it, regardless of insurance. If I remember correctly, any Lasik surgery would only solve some of the problem, wouldn't correct astigmatism which is severe.

I havent had Lasik surgery, not because I mind the cost, but because I dont mind wearing glasses, and
    i really dont want them touching my eyes for non essential surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I havent had Lasik surgery, not because I mind the cost, but because I dont mind wearing glasses, and
    i really dont want them touching my eyes for non essential surgery.
    My wife hated wearing glasses and we gladly paid the full cost of early Lasik surgery 15 or so years ago. She was so excited to have perfect vision, for about a year, then the need for readers arose. Sigh...
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information