Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wonders of modern medicine

Yppej
    I just had an eye exam and don't have cataracts. My blurred vision in one eye is due to astigmatism and possibly a bubble in the retina so it sounds like this might not work for me, but IL I'm glad it did for your husband.

I had cataract surgery earlier this year and would call it a marked improvement in quality of life. I opted for the standard mono vision lens but there certainly seemed like a variety of newer options to accommodate other eye problems with the same knife. One instance of being thankful for modern medicare for sure.

I never considered Lasik surgery. Some of our clients were in need for services for the blind after it.

Dang cataracts. Eye doctor told me yesterday that the surgery will come in around a year or two. Also told me not to wait so long between visits since I was no longer legal to drive without new glasses. I am thankful that I made it thru the drivers test I took a few months ago. Wondered at that time why the eye test was so difficult and why I could not read street sign on a recent trip. I am a slow learner.

But I am very thankful that there are experienced surgeons out there for the eye surgery.

One of my colleagues decided to get her lens opposite. 1 for near vision and 1 for far vision. She loves her lenses and is glad to be rid of her cataracts!

Yppej
    Sounds like I should be looking forward to cataracts so I can get good vision covered by insurance. I just need a better plan that won't have a $6K out of pocket cost. Isn't there a saying that things get worse before they get better?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Sounds like I should be looking forward to cataracts so I can get good vision covered by insurance. I just need a better plan that won't have a $6K out of pocket cost. Isn't there a saying that things get worse before they get better?
    It was more out of pocket than $6,000. I dont know how much more, not a ton.

This was Medicare, so dont expect a lot.

Other lenses are cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I havent had Lasik surgery, not because I mind the cost, but because I dont mind wearing glasses, and
    i really dont want them touching my eyes for non essential surgery.
    This reminds me of what my eye doctor in NJ told me 15 years ago. "as my father always said (he was an eye doc also, but had passed away by the time I had this conversation) if they tell you it's elective surgery you should elect not to have it." At the time I was considering lasik and she basically said "don't do it, but if you do decide to do it don't go behind my back to some hack. Come to me and I'll send you to the top guy in the NYC area. By the way, he wears glasses..."

I never had it done and don't regret the decision. Sure I know plenty of people who have had it done and love the results, but I also know a couple of people who don't love how it turned out. For me the bifocal contacts I wear are awesome. The fix both my myopia (at least the myopia associated with my eyes) and astigmatism quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    My out of pocket after deductibles and co-pays was around $600 for basic mono vision lenses and included the special post surgery prescription drops. I suppose it just depends on a person's insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    My wife hated wearing glasses and we gladly paid the full cost of early Lasik surgery 15 or so years ago. She was so excited to have perfect vision, for about a year, then the need for readers arose. Sigh...
    But readers and non prescription sunglasses can be fun! They Make fashion statements! You can have many pairs And if you leave them in a restaurant for instance it’s no big deal because they were only $10-$15.

Thread Information