Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wonders of modern medicine

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    You always end up needing readers.
    You are right, DH is wearing readers, but that is a minor thing considering how bad his eyes were.

I actually don't mind readers at all but dislike wearing glasses all the time. IL< it sounds like such a huge improvement for your husband.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    But readers and non prescription sunglasses can be fun! They Make fashion statements! You can have many pairs And if you leave them in a restaurant for instance it’s no big deal because they were only $10-$15.
    I get mine at Dollar Tree where you never pay more than $1!

When they adjusted for astigmatism a few years ago I wasn’t sure it helped. Then I realized over time how badly the astigmatism bothers me without glasses. I think our brains adjust to our problems in a way that we don’t even realize we are compensating for it,

IL this discussion is right on time for me! I have eyes like your husband's, worn glasses since I was 7. sounds as if at this consult the 14th about cataract surgery, I will bring up the lens. Do you have any other advice about after care and when you can drive and whatever else was a problem or easy! My husband will also need them, his eyes are much better than mine. Thanks for the link as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    IL this discussion is right on time for me! I have eyes like your husband's, worn glasses since I was 7. sounds as if at this consult the 14th about cataract surgery, I will bring up the lens. Do you have any other advice about after care and when you can drive and whatever else was a problem or easy! My husband will also need them, his eyes are much better than mine. Thanks for the link as well.
    Be prepared for many appointments. There is an initial consultation for both eyes, then each eye gets surgery on a separate day, then next day appointment, then week later appointment, then month later appointment. Many appointments.

Prior to surgery and after surgery they were eyedrops, number of drops depending on stage of surgery.

DH was able to drive a few days after surgery, but night driving was a few days longer.

Good luck!

There are weight lifting restrictions after surgery.

They wanted to do my eyes a week apart but I said no and did them 5 months apart. You have to put in a ton of drops for a month. If you had to do that for both eyes you would never get to go anywhere. The second reason is because my mom’s surgeon screwed up her eye and she decided not to do the other one.

Thanks Terri and Iris, I was wondering about after care. Since we BOTH need to have it done, seems we will spend the winter doctoring....as I broke my hip in June and am still doing physical therapy I'm dreading MORE Dr. visits, but vision is so important. Nice to know driving is fairly soon. I think we will do them farther apart than a week, make sure the one is OK before tackling the other. I'm wondering about glasses....what do you do once the eye is fixed ? Take the lens out of your frame? Could be disconcerting.

I still needed my reading glasses so nothing changed. My distance vision was always fine. Mine were caused by the steroids in my asthma medication.

This is what I recall from my experience earlier in the year and what I remember of doctor recommendations. I had the basic mono vision lens and the surgeries were done about a month apart. I know of doctors who will do both at once, but it would not be my recommendation. Mostly to make sure the first goes without complications. I was able to drive the next day, partially depending on the non-surgical eye but vision in the surgery eye was better by the next day and gradually got even better. No heavy lifting over 20 pounds for a week but was told I could resume some light hiking and moderate activity after a week. I was pretty careful of vigorous activity for two or three weeks. The drops were an inconvenience but not a huge deal. The plastic shield that I had to wear at night for a week was a little disruptive to sleep. I think all told 5 or 6 pre surgery and followup doctor visits per eye. I think surgeries and surgeons may have different recommendations and I'd do what ever they say.

If you doctor doesn't mention it, you might ask about negative dysphotopsia. Apparently it is a post surgery complaint in 10 or 20 percent of cataract operations and is a thin shadow at the very outside edge of vision. It happened with one of my eyes and since the surgeon failed to mention it I thought something had gone wrong. It eventually either goes away or the brain accommodates it. I can still notice it if I think about it, but doesn't bother me and is a small price for the better vision.

Thread Information