Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Star

Your Star

This frosty time of the year the moon and stars seem brighter to my eye.

I am starting this thread to inquire about your star (or stars).

Is there a certain star that has particular meaning or magic for you?

In the night sky I always looked for Polaris.

And the big dipper... I think it was The Weavers who I first heard to sing "Follow the Drinkin' Gourd" … for the ol' man is a-waitin' for to carry you to Freedom. Follow the Drinkin' Gourd.

I also remember times I lived in Pennsylvania, and the Moravian Academy "for love and understanding" … Moravian's amazing man-made stars, bright, light, and mathematically precise!

As an old man, I taught youngsters how to fold Froebel Stars with strips of paper. Years later, as an old-old man, I remember every moment of that teaching with satisfaction.

Back in November 1833 an intense Leonid Meteor shower was observed in Alabama. In the 20th Century this shower was musically remembered by Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong, "...and stars fell in Alabama last night."

I've always been partial to Orion. My dad "introduced" us when I was young.

I just love stars in general but the evening star has been my favourite since childhood. Anyone else remember this?
    "Starlight, star bright,
    First star I see tonight,
    I wish I may, I wish I might,
    Have the wish I wish tonight"

Living in town now, it is harder to see the night sky than when I lived on the farm. Stars give me a sense of magic, mystery and beauty so I do look for them whenever I am out in the night. But, there are so many satellites now that I wonder how many of the lights are actually stars.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I love looking up at the stars! Whenever there are any "events" - i.e. meteor showers, eclipse, special moons, etc - we are out looking. I like Orion as well, rosarugosa, but mainly because it's one of the few I can recognize. lol
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I love looking up at the stars! Whenever there are any "events" - i.e. meteor showers, eclipse, special moons, etc - we are out looking. I like Orion as well, rosarugosa, but mainly because it's one of the few I can recognize. lol
    That honestly has a lot to do with his appeal for me too!

The one that we are in the goldilocks zone around.

I liked the particularly bright star I saw one night in the western sky. Then it flashed even brighter and zoomed northward at dazzling speed. I have no idea what it was...

While we are at it, there is a beer named after a star, Stella Artois, brewed since 1366.

And in the summer months I have blooming perennial Purple Blazing Star in my back garden. YouTube has a video on conservation for pollinators that raves about the 48 species of blazing star (and related gayfeather!) I tried to link it, but without success.

Sol

Thread Information