Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Star

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Sol
    Kind of hard to forget about SOL that keeps our earth warm and cozy.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I've always been partian to the North Star. Being slightly directionally impaired I can get oriented by the mountains in daylight but at night the North Star is helpful in orientation.

Quelle etoile est-ce?

What star is this, with beams so bright,
    More lovely than the noonday light?

Soon I expect to be hearing that Christmas carol.

Etched glass was used by Jamie Covino in this "Bethlehem Star". I understand that a "Bethlehem Star" has larger points on the top and bottom, whereas a "Moravian Star" has points that are all the same size." This "Bethlehem Star" is 9 inches from top to bottom.

000_0359 (3).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Sol
    The brightest star of all!

Personally I love looking up and seeing the big dipper. As a total novice star gazer it's the one thing I can reliably pick out. Years ago I downloaded an app to my phone called starview lite. You point it at the sky (or the ground if you want to see what's in the sky on the other side of the world) and it identifies all the stars and groupings for you.

Since we live in a dense urban place star gazing isn't top notch here, especially given the tendency towards foggy weather. I can remember an assortment of times in my life when I happened to be far from any city on a clear night and being absolutely flabbergasted at the number of stars out there. Like the time I was on a roadtrip to far upstate NY with my first boyfriend 25ish years ago. We were there for the wedding of a college friend of his. I've long forgotten any other detail about that trip but I'll never forget going outside the first night we were there, looking up at the sky, and both of us saw the same shooting star and both being ridiculously excited at what we had just seen.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Quelle etoile est-ce?

Etched glass was used by Jamie Covino in this "Bethlehem Star". I understand that a "Bethlehem Star" has larger points on the top and bottom, whereas a "Moravian Star" has points that are all the same size." This "Bethlehem Star" is 9 inches from top to bottom.

000_0359 (3).jpg
    Thank you for explaining this as I had wondered what triggered the difference.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Quelle etoile est-ce?

000_0359 (3).jpg
    Beautiful star!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Kind of off topic, but some hobbyist astronomers set themselves up in a Safeway parking lot the other day to give folks a look at Mercury as it passed by the sun for the last time until 2032. I wasn't able to go look, but the photo someone published in the paper the next day---wow! It was gorgeous. I think it was this one:
    https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/mercury/overview/
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information