Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OK Boomer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

OK Boomer

I will admit I never heard that phrase until yesterday. My kid says it’s been around “forever”, which of course could be for anytime before last week.

Am I only viewing stodgy websites? It seems like an elegantly dismissive putdown/grievance shorthand phrase for the young against the less young.

Wow, I almost posted the same type of thing yesterday, when I came across Buzzfeed-type articles about "boomer culture" vs "millennial culture" and it clearly painted a picture of Boomers, not as the cool hippie/hip people we see ourselves as, but as out-of-touch geezers.

I do not feel like an out-of-touch geezer. I'm healthy, I'm working full time at a demanding job--which requires technology and, interestingly, a lot of these major differences I read about between boomers/millenials focus on technology aptitude.

But even my son who comes up a lot on weekends makes snide comments on our boomer tv-watching habits. Probably watching cable tv is by itself a Boomer/Geezer flag. I KNOW being on FB is a Boomer/Geezer flag.

You are exactly right. We entitled, free this-and-that, climate-crashing, war-protesting, civil-rights waging, post-war folk are being put out to pasture.

But I would like the few millennials on this site to weigh in.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/thes...uge-difference
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Do we even have any millennials on this site? I know we have some gen Xers, but not so sure about millennials.

I'd never seen this phrase before reading a Bloomberg article about it a few days ago. When I saw it here yesterday it made me think "Don't be jealous, you'll come into your own someday."
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'd never seen this phrase before reading a Bloomberg article about it a few days ago. When I saw it here yesterday it made me think "Don't be jealous, you'll come into your own someday."
    Okay, boomer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Okay, boomer.
    Thanks sparky!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I knew it was a insult but wasn’t surprised from that poster. Like some of you here I am still working in a professional job part time.

But are Boomers even who people think they are, the unemployed 50 something who couldn't get a job to save their life due to age discrimination etc. and I know them. Yes they might very well be Boomers, but they might very well be Gen X at this point also.

Gen X never gets any love.

millennial culture is forcing yourself to take a sick day only when it’s clear that your body cannot function and then feeling guilty when you’re not working
    uh, that's anyone who doesn't actually have sick days but it's not about guilt, take your guilt to your shrink because it's silly. But it's about FEAR, fear of getting in trouble for missing a day. Get back to me when you are a 50 something working gigs to survive how about? Because I know them too.
    Trees don't grow on money

"Generation wars" remind me of "mommy wars"--both equally stupid and pointless.
    If you don't like the way the country is headed (and I don't blame you), work to change it. We did.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    "Generation wars" remind me of "mommy wars"--both equally stupid and pointless.
    If you don't like the way the country is headed (and I don't blame you), work to change it. We did.
    Okay, boomer.

Thread Information