Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: OK Boomer

I wish I were gen x but apparently I’m in the last 3 years of the boomer crowd. I identify with gen x most closely. But then all this generational stuff is somewhat suspect - as if whole cohorts if people born in the 20 year span are alike. It’s not much different than astrology.

Okay, boomer.
    The funny thing is that in addition to not being a boomer (just going to take her word), how little yppej even fits the stereotype of "ok boomers" on some glide path through life to anyone paying attention.

I mean I actually have encountered what I think is being referenced there with ok boomer, they give job advice, that say inability to find a job must have a reason or something, a reason that can be deciphered, and your like hmm, and then they give advice on how to find a job and your like uh ... I mean I do get it, impossible advice that doesn't match one's lived experience in the slightest. But then I met someone about 60 in my unemployment support group, who didn't just want a job but needed one, I wanted one badly and was in despair, but they were more looking at not being able to survive (and not someday but right now) level, I wasn't. I hope they managed to get by. (and if you want to lecture on how people should avoid this when they get older, to be all "ok boomer" to um actual boomers, there is a backstory to it, it's not pure fecklessness).
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I wish I were gen x but apparently I’m in the last 3 years of the boomer crowd. I identify with gen x most closely. But then all this generational stuff is somewhat suspect - as if whole cohorts if people born in the 20 year span are alike. It’s not much different than astrology.
    That is funny Tammy; I used the astrology analogy last night talking to DH about the generational categories. Sure, there are some generalizations to be made relative to the era in which one comes of age, but I think a lot of this is more of a parlor game, and the generalizations never apply across the board. I worked in a department of almost all millennials and a couple of gen X managers. My team was unique in that I had 2 boomers, 2 gen Xers, 2 millennials, and 2 gen Zers (my HS interns). It was a veritable Noah's Ark of the generations. Some of the alleged characteristics are merely the differences between younger and older folks. I read once that Boomers were characterized by a greater interest in saving for retirement. I'm sure millennials will be more interested when they get older.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    The funny thing is that in addition to not being a boomer (just going to take her word), how little yppej even fits the stereotype of "ok boomers" on some glide path through life to anyone paying attention.
    Capture.JPG

I read that “Ok boomer” is now a simple insult for those with whom one disagrees. Age no longer applies. I also read that since boomers are using it, it now will fall out of favor with everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post

I mean I actually have encountered what I think is being referenced there with ok boomer, they give job advice, that say inability to find a job must have a reason or something, a reason that can be deciphered, and your like hmm, and then they give advice on how to find a job and your like uh ... I mean I do get it, impossible advice that doesn't match one's lived experience in the slightest. But then I met someone about 60 in my unemployment support group, who didn't just want a job but needed one, I wanted one badly and was in despair, but they were more looking at not being able to survive (and not someday but right now) level, I wasn't. I hope they managed to get by. (and if you want to lecture on how people should avoid this when they get older, to be all "ok boomer" to um actual boomers, there is a backstory to it, it's not pure fecklessness).
    ANM, I love that bolded phrase. Funny!

yes, this boomer has been on a glide path through life, more or less.

First I heard of this phrase was here, and I was trying to figure out if UL was getting into old tv shows:

okboomer.jpg

This came up in one of my FB groups the other day. A woman with a younger supervisor was feeling extremely disrespected due to the age memes her supervisor was posting. She was very happy she was getting away in a couple of months when she retired. I asked her if the gal ever said anything like that at work and she said she didn't. I was actually surprised they were connected on FB but told her it sounded like her supervisor was professional and what she posts on FB is more a reflection on her. I have a friend who is seeing an attorney next week due to over the top age comments being made to her on the first month of a job.
    Our kids rarely watch TV and give us no end of crap when they come over and it is being used as background noise. I don't disagree that they have a point there.

It’s sad when people get pushed out of jobs in their 50’s. Many never are able to resume their career or work for half as much. This has been happening for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    It’s sad when people get pushed out of jobs in their 50’s. Many never are able to resume their career or work for half as much. This has been happening for a long time.
    A friend's husband was canned recently. He's about fifty. Odd how that happens. I think he's going to land on his feet, but what a shock.

Thread Information