Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OK Boomer

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I think it’s terrible to transfer assets to kids in order to qualify for Medicaid. The look back period has consistently gotten longer. If we need care we will use ours until broke.
    I think some of it is also pressure from the kids who want to inherit. I have told my parents I don't expect anything.

We told our parents to spend their money which they did. Plus my mom lived to almost 90. She got to travel and enjoy herself. My kids would never expect any money until we are gone. If we live long it will probably be gone.

I think the younger people have some valid talking points. The environment may be headed for some sort of catastrophe, national debt is huge and the gap between the wealthy and the middle or lower classes is unprecedented. Exactly whose fault that is is debatable, but I plead innocent (possibly by reason of simple living) and at least for the average person have tried to do my part. The older folks have also done some pretty amazing things in medicine, science and technology, and even defined global warming. We pass that along to them.

Without looking up statistics of the work force, I'd say the baton is being passed and the complaining time is over. I hope they do a good or better job. If my small social circle is an indication, a lot of them need to move out of their parent's basements.

Yppej
    Though living in the basement is environmentally more sound than building new housing to accommodate population growth, or even using natural resources to rehab existing housing that is dilapidated.

but I plead innocent (possibly by reason of simple living) and at least for the average person have tried to do my part.
    I don't plead innocent, not entirely, a lot more should have been done in terms of activism and otherwise as well, but mostly activism (but Gen X really is by and large not particularly activist by nature ...). And quite regardless of that, it's really difficult problems against a very hardened status quo etc.. It's nothing easy. It's the hard crash of industrial fossil fuel civilization (I guess many before had civilization but not fossil fueled), of hitting hard limits to growth etc.. In 1960 the population was what 3.5 Billion, ahem and what is it now, and yea sure I was born after 1960 ... So if the young want radical change, and the old are dragging their feet, the young are right I believe and from their lips to goddesses ears. But getting there is hard.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013...ch-generation/

This provides some data on trends in caring for the elderly and adult children. The ones saying Oh boomer are actually getting more help than the aging boomers.

I’m 50. I’m a Gen X-Er. 4 years too late to be a boomer. Mom was 4 years too early to be a boomer.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013...ch-generation/

This provides some data on trends in caring for the elderly and adult children. The ones saying Oh boomer are actually getting more help than the aging boomers.
    Okay, boomer.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I don't plead innocent, not entirely, a lot more should have been done in terms of activism and otherwise as well, but mostly activism..
    I don't think activism is the only path to change.

Thread Information