Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OK Boomer

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Hey! I just saw that movie for the first time. El Torino. Clint Eastwood was really good in that movie.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    "Generation wars" remind me of "mommy wars"--both equally stupid and pointless.
    If you don't like the way the country is headed (and I don't blame you), work to change it. We did.
    Okay, boomer.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'd never seen this phrase before reading a Bloomberg article about it a few days ago. When I saw it here yesterday it made me think "Don't be jealous, you'll come into your own someday."
    Okay, boomer.

I just "unfollowed" a millenial friend on FB today because she jumped on this 3 days ago, and she's just beating this dead horse with post after post about how entitled, self-satisfied and greedy boomers are, how we are personally responsible for ruining the environment and the job market and how there will be no Social Security because we have sucked it all up. I have stayed out of the arguments back and forth on FB after her first post, but it has been hurting my feelings to read this stuff..after all, I've been trying to live right and be polite and kind and save the environment and empower others my whole life. The last straw was when she posted that the fact that boomers get offended by her arguments just proves how entitled and selfish we really are. I've had enough of that, so, to use another modern phrase...."bye bye, Felicia."

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Okay, boomer.
    Thanks sparky!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    I am generation X but do not approve of age discrimination. Befree what do these people think those "sucking up Social Security" should do instead? Just die?

I am generation X but do not approve of age discrimination. Befree what do these people think those "sucking up Social Security" should do instead? Just die?
    they aren't even thinking, the right wing propaganda has eaten their brains . Because who exactly do they think is going to be financially supporting their parents if there was no Social Security? Yea they would, that's who. Whatever financial problems they might have, do they really want to add financially supporting their parents to the list? Doesn't work unless one is rich and are most of these people really that well off? People seem not to get in general that basic government benefits (like old age care, healthcare etc.) benefit more than just the person they directly go to, they lift burdens off others as well. So their kids can make their own life, they may or may not be able to buy a home etc., but if they think it's financially hard now ...
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    they aren't even thinking, the right wing propaganda has eaten their brains . Because who exactly do they think is going to be financially supporting their parents if there was no Social Security? Yea they would, that's who. Whatever financial problems they might have, do they really want to add financially supporting their parents to the list? Doesn't work unless one is rich and are most of these people really that well off? People seem not to get in general that basic government benefits (like old age care, healthcare etc.) benefit more than just the person they directly go to, they lift burdens off others as well. So their kids can make their own life, they may or may not be able to buy a home etc., but if they think it's financially hard now ...
    +1

There are plenty of middle and upper class people who transfer assets early so they can get Medicaid to pay for their nursing home care, yet look down on others who use the program out of genuine need earlier in life.

I need a little clarifying to be sure that I am understanding what is meant here.

For a long time I have read that Boomers are those born between 1946-1964 or thereabouts. They have been able to find jobs readily as the economy expanded. Most have hd an affluent lifestyle compared to their parents. Those Boomers born earlier have gained more according to reports presented over the years.

With that as my terms of reference, what is the current phrase, OK Boomer, doing any differently?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I think it’s terrible to transfer assets to kids in order to qualify for Medicaid. The look back period has consistently gotten longer. If we need care we will use ours until broke.

Thread Information