Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: November Frugals!

November Frugals!

I found the remnants of a floral arrangement in the grocery store parking lot this morning. The store doesn't have a florist dept, so the arrangement wasn't from the store and I have no idea how or why it was there. It was one of those green plastic containers filled with oasis and amazing, enormous, exotic leaves like canna and monstera, as well as asparagus fern, leatherleaf, another type of fern and sprays of small white orchids. I picked it apart and filled a couple of vases with the good stuff. I was thinking that surely Iris Lily would approve of my frugal scavenging efforts.

I continue to use stuff from the freezer before it ages out via frostbite

Last night we had homemade mac n cheese. I finished off a quart bag of peas from the May harvest. I shelled them ALL back then and bagged them. GONE! And I made enough so DH had lunch today for work.

Tonight is Taco Salad using ground beef/turkey mix cooked up and frozen, some lovely organic corn from the freezer, I'm cooking black beans with 2 roasted Chilis from the freezer, and when the beans cool I'll make a black bean/corn salsa to top our salads.

I dislike pregrated cheese so I buy 5# blocks of Tillamook from Costco-great price! DH grated the entire block and we freeze in quart ziplocs. So the cheese to top our salads is also from the freezer.

I will continue to dig in the freezer before going to the store. I have purchased very little food in the last month!

Yppej
    I switched the company for the supplier portion of my electric bill to get a lower rate.

Good day to you all!
    Great fun find Rosa and loving your menu ideas Gardnr!
    I have not written in awhile but, need to be here.
    So many expenses that can not be helped and a few that were just
    splurges on my part. Plus, how much our Hydro was increased as of Nov.1st
    and I know Taxes will be up for next year etc. etc. etc.
    I do a month end balance sheet each month and I can see how my
    net worth is going down. Creeping but, needs to be stopped if I want
    to stay in this house.
    This month so far I have:
    --eating from freezer because of course that is were some of my money is sitting...lol
    --After our Thanksgiving, I bought 3 very large fresh turkeys at $20.00 OFF each at Costco
    I froze one for Christmas and cooked the other two and froze the meat in pkgs
    enough for one or two meals. And, of course made soup and froze some carcass for
    more later.
    --Just NO waste is making all food go a long way
    --Back in the summer on a post about getting things done, one of my goals was
    to use up fabric for Christmas gifts. I started with napkins for dear gs and made
    14 then and found more of the same fabric at the bottom of one of many boxes
    and made another 10.
    These napkins are a whole other frugal story of a how this Autistic lad only likes
    these napkins his Gramma makes...lol...I made some when he was 5 and have made
    a dozen more every few years. He is 21 and I think he has enough for a good 10 more years.
    Then he will need to get use to something else..
    --Bought chiffon fabric, but using up cord and thread I had to make:
    20 reusable Produce bags. Christmas gifts with love and meaning.
    --Next, using up cotton fabric to make Microwavable Bowls for everyone. Only
    needed to purchase the Cotton Batting...more gifts.
    --Signed up for David's Tea emails and had a lovely large cup in the Mall last week FREE
    --getting all my entertainment from Library, TV (have cut cable) and spending much less
    on Netflix and one other.
    --Walking more for exercise and using less gas in the car. Also, joined a Free twice a week
    exercise program for seniors.
    --For enjoyment I am really liking have my new phone (Cut landline) and new plan that is
    costing less then landline and cell was before. Loving the unlimited long distance in Canada.
    That's all I can think of for now. I will be back. Glad some of you are still here.

Fabulous, danna!!! Congrats with the changes and good luck moving forward!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    I called around to get multiple estimates on replacing the spark plugs on the car. Savings $60.00.

Wow Dana lots of savings! My husband has decided we are no longer paying for oil changes so he is doing them. He also replaced the breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I found the remnants of a floral arrangement in the grocery store parking lot this morning. The store doesn't have a florist dept, so the arrangement wasn't from the store and I have no idea how or why it was there. It was one of those green plastic containers filled with oasis and amazing, enormous, exotic leaves like canna and monstera, as well as asparagus fern, leatherleaf, another type of fern and sprays of small white orchids. I picked it apart and filled a couple of vases with the good stuff. I was thinking that surely Iris Lily would approve of my frugal scavenging efforts.
    yay for you!I would have picked that up too!

After being loyal Verizon customers for 20 years we are switching to Visible. Unlimited data without throttling will be $50 for 2 Smart phones every month. Because we’re on a friends and family type thing with our son, the cost is 25 per phone instead of 40. We’re dropping from 120 a month to 50 a month. Visible uses Verizon towers so our service should be equal to before.

Now to find a way to not need WiFi at home. We have solar panels that use it (we sell excess electric back to APS) and a nest thermostat ... but with the unlimited data and phones as a hotspot we could almost end the internet bill too — but there’s a few things to figure out first.

Dinner from the freezer: half of a container of cheese tortellini and a package of my Italian spiced garden ratatouille. YUM!

Tomorrow: pulled pork from the freezer and the remaining acorn squash roasted this week. Maybe I'll make some cornbread?

Thread Information