Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Updates...

Any ideas about next location? I have moved a lot when younger so no desire to leave my tribe now. I bet being with the twins was fun.

Pinkytoe, one of the most educational things we did was spend 3 years (corporate move) in a totally different state. Learned that we carry ourselves with us when we move, other states can be interesting but all have their own issues, and we could be content almost anywhere. I no longer obsess over moving somewhere else.

Thanks for the update!

Sounds as though things are going well for you.

As for me, I have confessions to make.

Been low carbing for a while but not too well the past few months.

Gained back 6 pounds.

Still doing ok for an old woman of 63 other than having the shingles about 3 weeks ago.

Best wishes on the volunteer work, sounds interesting.

I have lived in 5 states and have definitely been happier in some places than others. I used to love moving when younger but not anymore.

I'm nearly 4.5 years into early retirement -- and just about to turn 51! DS is in his senior year as a CS major, doing well both academically and socially. He moved into an apartment with two friends from his program, but still comes home once a week or so to do laundry and get fed some homecooked goodness. DD seems to be settling into high school well, too. She was on the volleyball team so the first part of the semester was pretty busy, but now things are a bit mellower. She is on the robotics team and it will be interesting to see where she takes that. DH is again back in China helping out with his parents, whose health issues continue to compound. We are grateful that being retired allows him the flexibility to go back as he is needed without having to worry about a job.

We've been in our Seattle house for about 2.5 years now. I've been getting really into gardening and had good results with my first in-ground vegetable patch this summer - expanded it with a couple of small raised beds on a dry part of the lawn where I planted fall/winter crops (brassicas mostly) and just revived an old bed that the previous owners had put it that had gotten overgrown with non-edible stuff. I also have a large collection of containers on our upstairs deck that work well for sun-loving plants. I've joined a local garden club and several gardening groups on Facebook where I have gotten a bunch of free plants and seeds. Still love trying to do things on a budget where possible -- the frugalista is deep in this one!
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Always nice to hear from you, Lhamo. Glad retirement is going well. It will be 2 years for me on 12/1, although my retirement was a lot less early than yours.

I'm not on here much anymore; so many topics which don't seem to further my journey in simplicity. To everything there is a season, I guess...

Not much change here. Things will change next spring when DW retires. At least that's the plan -- she was eligible as of the first of this month, but she has a couple of projects she'd like to finish there and we'd like to bank some more $$ for a few big-ticket items before we lose her paycheck. So it probably will be spring 2020 before she pushes the button.

DW may opt to work elsewhere afterward --likely not full-time -- because she wants to do something in her field and she wants the structure that comes with having some deadlines. But she has to take a few months off from work before she can go back to what she was doing in any capacity. And, by then, she may enjoy her free time too much to sully it with 30 hours of work every week. On the other hand, we'll need health insurance. So either one of us will be working for the Man With Insurance or we'll have to figure out how to cover the costs for the years till we're Medicare age.

With DW's retirement will come my retirement as househusband. I'll still do plenty -- the kitchen essentially will be mine and DW has never liked doing home maintenance or outside care. But I don't have to do everything (which is what I do now). With that will come a fair amount of free hours I haven't figured out how to fill yet. Lots of candidates, lots of requirements that knock some of the candidates out of contention.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Steve, is the ACA reasonable in Minnesota? Costs really vary by state. Too bad she doesn’t get retiree HI. We have thought of dropping ours for the ACA but didn’t because we cannot get back on. It would save us a ton of money. We have 5 years until DH is 65. I have to stay on to keep him insured. I also have Medicare A and B.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Steve, is the ACA reasonable in Minnesota?
    tbh we haven't researched the costs yet. DW does have an HSA that we can tap, which will help considerably, but until we get some realistic numbers (and a better idea of where ACA is going in the next few years) we won't really know. She can COBRA, of course, but that's of limited duration and not inexpensive. Plan B is to work at one of those places that offers health insurance to part-time employees.

Retiree health insurance seemingly is, like pensions, a thing of the past. Even the Fortune 100 company at which I worked last moved a few years from retiree coverage that was pretty much identical to what employees received to receiving that coverage for a couple of years to giving retirees an allowance to spend on private insurance/exchanges to ... no coverage at all...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Steve: You might want to check out local hospitals. At least around here, they have lots of part-time jobs doing all different kinds of things, and offer benefits if you work 20+ hours per week. I carry our HI (fortunate to have retiree HI although very expensive), but DH works part-time at a low stress job and we carry life ins, FSA 403b and a really great retiree medical savings plan through his employer. He also got 5 weeks of paid vacation/PTO right out of the gate.

Thread Information