Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Updates...

Thanks for the tip, rosa! We live within a couple of miles of three (!) hospitals. I think I'll take a look at the opportunities they have open now...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Steve my suggestion to you about the ACA is: five years ago I didn’t know what the ACA was going to look like either during my retirement lead into Medicare, but I took the plunge. We did cobra for 18 months and then took ACA insurance for the remaining time until we hit 65 for Medicare. The ACA coverage was much cheaper of course than COBRA but money really wasn’t the issue for us.

Anyway – what I am saying is – the ACA in some form is going to be around.
    Before you turn on spigots of retirement income that you cannot turn off, look at income categories for ACA subsidies and try to plan your income stream accordingly.

Starbucks gives HI to people that work 20 hours a week last I knew.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Anyway – what I am saying is – the ACA in some form is going to be around.
    Before you turn on spigots of retirement income that you cannot turn off, look at income categories for ACA subsidies and try to plan your income stream accordingly.
    Thanks, IL; that's sound advice.

One of the biggest challenges we've found in dealing with financial planners is finding people who know enough to be able to advise on that entire concept of taxation of income. Sure, they know the broad stuff like Roth versus traditional IRAs, but working HSA income and SS and pensions and non-retirement savings and all? I realize there are a few variables missing from those equations (how long the money will be needed, inflation, etc.), but most planners we've talked with don't/can't get to the level of explaining something as simple as what you mentioned (about ACA income categories). I suppose that will be something I have to learn myself.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Starbucks gives HI to people that work 20 hours a week last I knew.
    Still do; we know a couple who do exactly that for HI.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Thanks for the tip, rosa! We live within a couple of miles of three (!) hospitals. I think I'll take a look at the opportunities they have open now...
    I worked for a hospital part-time a number of years ago when we owned a business and needed health insurance. It was great! Part-time job with part-time benefits with health care.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Thanks, IL; that's sound advice.

One of the biggest challenges we've found in dealing with financial planners is finding people who know enough to be able to advise on that entire concept of taxation of income. Sure, they know the broad stuff like Roth versus traditional IRAs, but working HSA income and SS and pensions and non-retirement savings and all? I realize there are a few variables missing from those equations (how long the money will be needed, inflation, etc.), but most planners we've talked with don't/can't get to the level of explaining something as simple as what you mentioned (about ACA income categories). I suppose that will be something I have to learn myself.
    Well, here is my confession: this year, I just stopped caring about taxation.There were way too many variables to consider for me, anyway. I dont want to worry my pretty little head. DH is far more Top of it that I am. But when I ask him about our plan for taking out money and spending down assets he goes silent. I think it’s because we just haven’t thought much about it.

After so many decades of piling up assets, how do we pull them out? How do we convert to cash? Why not convert to cash? What are the tax consequences etc.? I’m probably going to turn on my Social Security spigot for in January because that at least will not affect ACA subsidies.

So is your husband not 65 and on Medicare?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    So is your husband not 65 and on Medicare?
    Yes, DH is now on Medicare,but ACA subsidies look at the entire year of 2019, which is why I was in no hurry to turn on Social Security income.

That makes sense.

Thread Information