Thread: Feeling extremely grateful.

Feeling extremely grateful.

There is a new monk staying at my temple for two years to teach and learn English. This is his first trip out of his birth country, so he is already learning and experiencing new things. He bought several things with him from India which he has gifted to people. I was blessed to receive a "protection necklace" and a string of malas that have been blessed by His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama! I had never heard of a protection necklace before. It is a thin, colorful string in which the Dalai Lama tied a single knot in the center. I imagine the delicacy of it is supposed to represent impermanence, but I will have to research this.

Anyway, I'm just feeling so blessed and extremely grateful that someone showed such kindness to me through these gifts, and how much they mean to me - not so much the physical items themselves, but the thoughtfulness and kindness behind the giving. I am definitely reinvigorating myself to do the same.

With the "season of giving" upon us, I think this is a wonderful reminder for me.

Anyway, just wanted to share.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Nice!

That's beautiful happystuff!

Surprise gifts are something very special and this one even more so. Thanks for sharing.

Since this is a gratitude thread which I am so grateful to see, I will add mine. I so enjoy my little beagle who is like any 2 year old- funny, interesting, demanding and great company; my trail walking companion with whom I can discuss anything from deeply important to routine; the allrecipes recipe for cream of mushroom soup which I made last night and is amazingly delicious and easy; my access to the local indoor pool 5 minutes away for a very modest annual fee; bags of apples for $5 /10lb which I will turn into canned jars of applesauce and dried slices; and my dear family and friends. I do wake up with gratitude each morning.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Meaningful gifts, freely given! A blessing, literally.

That’s great!

razz, love your list. To me, it is a reminder that the every day things are soooo important.

Thanks, everyone!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Surprise gifts are something very special and this one even more so. Thanks for sharing.

Since this is a gratitude thread which I am so grateful to see, I will add mine. I so enjoy my little beagle who is like any 2 year old- funny, interesting, demanding and great company; my trail walking companion with whom I can discuss anything from deeply important to routine; the allrecipes recipe for cream of mushroom soup which I made last night and is amazingly delicious and easy; my access to the local indoor pool 5 minutes away for a very modest annual fee; bags of apples for $5 /10lb which I will turn into canned jars of applesauce and dried slices; and my dear family and friends. I do wake up with gratitude each morning.
    Cream of mushroom soup! I am up for that. I saw the .allrecipes version that includes sherry, and I even have cream
    Sherry from the winery up the street.

Thread Information