There is a new monk staying at my temple for two years to teach and learn English. This is his first trip out of his birth country, so he is already learning and experiencing new things. He bought several things with him from India which he has gifted to people. I was blessed to receive a "protection necklace" and a string of malas that have been blessed by His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama! I had never heard of a protection necklace before. It is a thin, colorful string in which the Dalai Lama tied a single knot in the center. I imagine the delicacy of it is supposed to represent impermanence, but I will have to research this.

Anyway, I'm just feeling so blessed and extremely grateful that someone showed such kindness to me through these gifts, and how much they mean to me - not so much the physical items themselves, but the thoughtfulness and kindness behind the giving. I am definitely reinvigorating myself to do the same.

With the "season of giving" upon us, I think this is a wonderful reminder for me.

Anyway, just wanted to share.