Thread: Happy Birthday, USMC!

Happy Birthday, USMC!

Happy Birthday to the United States Marine Corps! U-rah!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Happy Birthday to the United States Marine Corps! U-rah!
    Semper Fi!

LOL. Here's the next in line when first recruited: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA7hoYG8HkM

I never realized they got a new mascot every 4 years!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    LOL. Here's the next in line when first recruited: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA7hoYG8HkM

I never realized they got a new mascot every 4 years!
    Wonderful video! Thank you. I didn’t know they swapped out the mascot every four years either.

I'm very proud of DH for serving. He's probably the most unlikely Marine. As a young man he was completely self-indulgent, a partier, a theater geek with a lot of liberal friends, and completely apolitical.

But one day, he came to the realization that if he continued on that path his life would probably go nowhere. He had gotten into a bar fight and had a gash on his forehead the day he walked into the Marine recruiting station on an impulse and said he wanted to enlist. The Marine recruiter looked him over, in his hungover, stitched-up state and asked him, "Are you in trouble, son?"

In a couple of weeks he stepped on those famous steps to Parris Island. He's petrified of heights but he repelled out of a helicopter. He was doughy and out of shape in 1970; in 1972 he was totally buff and about 40 lbs lighter. He had adopted some racist tendencies due to his upbringing in a white Anglo family, and he came out recognizing that we are all one.

I'm not so much about the military-industrial complex as I am about people who take big leaps to improve their lives, and that enlistment was a moment of grace for DH.

Semper fi to all the Marines on this board.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine, the military has helped improve many young people not on a good path. My ex realized he was going to be drafted during Vietnam because his number was coming up so he joined the marines. He preferred that branch if he had to go. Didn’t know him then as I was in 4th grade)

I remember the bus ride and pulling into PI at 4 a.m.. A male drill instructor stepped onto the bus, put his hands on his hips and said, "Ladies, ignore every word I am about to say!" He then ripped into the young men, essentially telling them they had 10 seconds to get off the bus and and line up, and they had better not touch him on their way out! I never saw anyone go out a bus window so fast in my life! Sat there thinking, "Good grief! Those guys are really in for it!" Then my DI stepped on the bus.....

Thread Information