Thread: An Odd Conundrum

An Odd Conundrum

Perhaps not in the general population but here amongst us-likely.
    I have an accumulated $425 cash and $300 in gift cards that were gifts for my retirement. And here it sits.

Nothing I want. Nothing I need.

To me, this should be something lasting? IE: my very first professional paycheck, I bought a sofa. It lasted many years and I was glad to have done that. It was a constant reminder that I had weathered college, scrimped/saved/paid cash, and here is the visible result. Cash for a sofa.

I suppose it's a good problem to have right? Meanwhile........here it sits.

Make sure that the gift cards don’t expire. I would spend the cash on a vacation or entertainment if I didn’t need anything.

Yppej
    If you do Christmas you could possibly regift the cards. The cash you can save for a rainy day.

A good friend received a number of gift cards on her retirement. We talked about taking a mutual friend who was facing some emotional challenges out for lunch at a special place and used a gift card to cover the cost.

Gift cards are to be used in a manner that has value to you. I would take some and... buy backpacks and school supplies for kids who need them, supply a humane society with some needed item not in their budget or supply flowers for a meals on wheels for Mothers Day...

Choose something to use them up as people spent the money and it would be a shame to let the cards go to waste due to loss or expiry. You will then have the fun of telling the gifter should you see them , how much joy you got out of the gift cards.

I don't see that gift cards have to spent on you alone but should be your choice in spending, IMO anyway.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

If you divide that out by 12 months it's basically a tiny over $60 per month. I'd do one nice thing for myself every month to acknowledge and celebrate retirement.
    Do you have any hobbies? Anything in your state you want to see? Day trips for experiences.
    I have a list of state parks I want to visit...plus more fly fishing gear! I could spend all that on one weekend...
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Nice ideas all. Most giftcards are Amazon. 1 is a local restaurant. 1 is Joann.

I have a niece who graduated from A&M with her Masters' Ed and teaching certificate teaching 8th grade science. I shall ping her and see if she needs anything. I sent her $100 worth of Amazon requests back in August but maybe new ideas have come up for her.

I've used a bit of the Joann card for a quilting supply. I could stock up on other consumables.

We usually go for 2 really nice dinners/year and I've heard this restaurant is as good as our favorite. So New Year's or my Birthday.

Ya'll have my brain churning.

I bet there are some local non-profits that would love to have the Amazon cards for petty cash type items. A favorite of mine is a raptor rehabilitation center and they are always asking for cleaning supply and office product donations.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I bet there are some local non-profits that would love to have the Amazon cards for petty cash type items. A favorite of mine is a raptor rehabilitation center and they are always asking for cleaning supply and office product donations.
    Another great idea. Our Women's and Childrens' alliance always has a need list on their website!

I used some retirement gift cash to buy a hydrangea shrub for my garden with the rationale that it would always be a pleasant reminder of the team that gifted me the cash.

Thread Information