Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mattress, topper, durability

Mattress, topper, durability

I checked the archives and need advice.
    1. new mattresses that are innerspring seem to all have at least 6 inches of foam things on them. My question is, don't you end up sinking 6 inches over time?
    2. 40 year old mattress, two metal wires have worked their way out of the mattress and we just cut them off and see not much change in support that we feel. Would a mattress topper( what kind? How thick? ) work.

I've avoided the memory foam due to the sleeping hot reputation.

We've tested several innerspring with the inches of foam stuff and they all feel fine. My worry is that in less than a year the foam topping will be indented and bunched.
    I weigh 200 and my husband weighs 160. A queen is the largest that will fit in our bedroom.
    I prefer to not get it on line-too much hassle at 70 years old.

We waited FAR too long to get a new mattress. FAR too long we experienced back pain. Far too long did we endure that rolling in toward each other and meeting in the middle. If we were mad at each other, I had to sleep on the edge of the bed and try not to fall off, LOL.

Buy a new mattress!! Go to a mattress store and try them out. Invest in a good bed. It doesn't have to cost a lot. Our mattresses were no more than $700 on sale. We also have implemented our own version of SleepNumber. DH loves a very firm bed and I like a little less firm, so I got a twin mattress topper for my side, and we're both happy.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I also say buy a new mattress if you can afford to do so. If not, yes, why not try the one of the toppers that you can buy and save up for a new mattress--you could use the topper on that, too.

We bought a sleep number bed 15 years ago and it’s still perfect. They come with a 20 year warranty. They are a air bed and our pump broke at year 10 and they gave us a new one for 77. If you can still get the parts the bed will last forever. Well worth the investment.

We bought three new mattresses last year. They were fairly firm. I didn’t want a soft pillow top type thing attached to the mattress and that was a good decision for us. I bought a mattress topper soft thing from target. There are several different versions and the expensive ones are pretty thick, but the downside is that they are too big for my washing machine so I have to take them to a laundromat where can use big machines.
    I was driven to get new mattresses because for one thing we bought and we can house and it needed beds, but we had also been staying in hotels for a couple years it had wonderful beds.

I’m not even going to attempt to tell you what kind we have because it didn’t matter here. When I tried to buy exactly the same thing it was impossible and so I gave up.

I will just describe these mattresses as “fairly firm “They cost around $600 each.

We have a platform bed -- the mattress rests on a set of slats; no boxspring. What we've found works best for us is a futon mattress -- some of which now have innersprings (ours is a Sealy). The one we're using now is about 10 years old. Like many couples, we like vastly divergent mattress firmnesses. When we first got the current mattress, we were both OK with it. Over time I determined that I preferred something firmer but DW did not, so we replaced the (25-year-old) bed slats with new ones from IKEA which can be adjusted a little toward firm or soft. That helped some but not enough for DW. She bought a mattress topper which I hated from Day One (apparently I move around a lot in my sleep and I tended to wake up as I moved around because it felt like quicksand), so we ended up folding it over itself and DW sleeps on that while I appreciate the "unadorned" side.

We know the current mattress won't last forever, so we've been casting about for what would work for us. When we married, DW had a Sleep Number bed. I could kind of get past the feeling of sleeping on an expensive air mattress, but what we both disliked was the cliff down the middle of the bed caused by how much/little we'd pumped up our side of the bed. I'm not crazy about the mattress just sitting on a slippery plastic surface, either. Maybe we just didn't have a sufficiently expensive SN bed but I'm not inclined to put them on the short list. A boxspring is not an option with this bedroom set, either, and I can think of better places to spend money than buying a different bed frame, nightstands, and a boxspring.

In Minneapolis there is a store that acts as a kind of rep for many of the on-line brands, with samples of the mattresses set up so you can try them, as in a brick-and-mortar store. We think we'll try that store as a guide to ordering the next one on-line. It's hard to pick one's way through memory foam and closed cell and all-latex and the many other technologies. Buying mattresses unseen/untried does not seem like an efficient way to go unless we can gain experience with the brand/model somewhere else.
    Last edited by SteveinMN; 11-13-19 at 3:00pm. Reason: We have a Sleep Number bed, not a Select Comfort. My opinion hasn't changed. :-)
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

My chiropractor said that the sleep number is the best bed on the market. You can go to a store to try it. We have a king. People we know that got a Queen hate it. I think that’s because the bed isn’t big enough for 2 people to use different settings without impeding on the other person.

We have a queen sleep number bed with vastly different firmness preferences and its fine.

We have a local mattress company, that years ago, a neighbor took a mattress that was showing its age, and they rebuilt/recovered it.

With all the pillow junk, I considered that, because I lke firm mattresses.

Thank you all! I hadn't even considered a topper on just half the bed...will discuss it with my husband who likes softer. Maybe we will make a decision soon!!!

Thread Information