Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another school shooting.

Geila

Another school shooting.

Several dead and more injured.

Two students said they didn't feel entirely prepared for a shooting despite having had drills at the school -- especially because the shooting happened before the school day and classes began.

A sophomore named Hannah echoed the point, saying drills happen when students and teachers are "calm."

"But the thing is that when that happens, it will take a while for us to get calm," Hannah said. "We need to be trained when we're more terrified to get out of the school because you don't think."

Very sad.

Yppej
    If they did unannounced realistic drills with gunfire sounds etc and someone had a heart attack the school would probably be sued.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    If they did unannounced realistic drills with gunfire sounds etc and someone had a heart attack the school would probably be sued.
    I imagine so. Lots of potential for injury as well.

I think it's so sad that kids feel the need to be prepared for terror. Having grown up that way, and feeling terror most days, it's just a terrible way to live.

I've always wondered if releasing photos of the dead children from the Sandy Hook tragedy would have made any difference in how our country handles gun laws and access to guns. I don't think I've ever seen a single photo of a dead child from all these school shootings.

If only California had some gun laws.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    I imagine so. Lots of potential for injury as well.

I think it's so sad that kids feel the need to be prepared for terror. Having grown up that way, and feeling terror most days, it's just a terrible way to live.

I've always wondered if releasing photos of the dead children from the Sandy Hook tragedy would have made any difference in how our country handles gun laws and access to guns. I don't think I've ever seen a single photo of a dead child from all these school shootings.
    The photos of Emmett Till made a difference, so maybe.

I think California is relatively low on mass shootings per-capita. But if the expectation is to easily achieve almost NO mass shootings, I don't see how that happens.
    Trees don't grow on money

Personally, I don't care that it was California; it's another shooting and people are dead. How sad.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I've wondered about that myself. I don't presume to understand what the Sandy Hook parents went through, but I think if I were in their shoes I'd want pictures of those dead children on the front page of the New York Times.

Sadly, and in my opinion! - I think shootings are becoming so "common-place" that an ambivalence is occurring (in general - not totally). While I think showing pictures of dead children will pull at heart-strings for a while, I think they would all to soon be forgotten.

I remember seeing all the pictures that had been published throughout the years of war-torn areas and the child victims there. Some people are sad, but think, "That was another time and another place." Unfortunately, I think Sandy Hook is now another time and another place.

I think that, unless/until it is YOUR child, YOUR father, YOUR mother, YOUR sister, YOUR brother, etc., until it hits YOUR own home, it's easy to give due condolences and regrets, feel sad, and then easily move on. (the "your" being generic here). If this were not the case, I think this country would have seen some bigger changes regarding gun issues by now.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Hopefully, someday we will wake up and take action like many other countries have. Children shouldn’t be afraid to go to school.

Thread Information