Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making yogurt

Making yogurt

I bought a Salton yogurt maker years ago and never tried it, so this week I decided it either works or it goes.

It works. I screwed up and left it on too long, overnight, which made the yogurt really strong. I have a plan for that, will make it right before bed and then turn it off when I get up.

It seemed more like Kefir as far as texture, but I stuck it out in the mudroom which is really cool, and it seems to be a little thicker from sitting. My husband likes Kefir so he is committed to eating all of it and I will try again next week.

Anyone else use this system, and do you have any tips for how to make it thicker?

I like lemon yogurt--can I put the lemon in when I put in the starter?

I'm planning on making some l. reuteri (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5917019/) yogurt (with tablets from Amazon) in the Instant Pot. I'll be using commercial yogurt as a starter, so the result should be a mixture. This could happen within the year, or during the next millennium. I haven't made yogurt for years.

You can drain the whey if you want a thicker product, Greek yogurt.

ETA: You may be able to add flavor to the milk before it ferments--the l reuteri tablets I plan to use are orange flavored, and they're reported to work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm planning on making some l. reuteri (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5917019/) yogurt (with tablets from Amazon) in the Instant Pot. I'll be using commercial yogurt as a starter, so the result should be a mixture. This could happen within the year, or during the next millennium. I haven't made yogurt for years.

You can drain the whey if you want a thicker product, Greek yogurt.

ETA: You may be able to add flavor to the milk before it ferments--the l reuteri tablets I plan to use are orange flavored, and they're reported to work fine.
    I don't have an Instant Pot--can you cook rice in them?

I think I like the Greek yogurt, so yes, draining the whey--or maybe straining it??

I used a really good organic yogurt as starter, Nancy's.

I could rave about Instant Pots all day...

You can cook excellent rice in one (you may have to experiment with times; I cook extra long basmati for 13 minutes).

I make my yogurt weekly. I take 1 1/3 litres (5 1/2 cups) of 1% milk, stir in 5 tbsp of powdered skim milk and heat in the microwave to 170F. Pour the hot milk into a large thermos and let cool to between 120-130F. I gently add 1/3 cup of commercial yogurt without stirring, cover and place a towel around the container, and place in an insulated lunch bag with a tea cozy over all. I leave it overnight or 10 hours and refrigerate. I use about 3/4 cup on my oatmeal each morning. Fresh fruit over all and I am satisfied til lunch.

Re flavouring - I have considered adding stevia and vanilla but not done so as yet so cannot answer that question. Artificial lemon flavouring might work but lemon juice with high acidity would cause problems.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

[QUOTE=razz;337953]I make my yogurt weekly. I take 1 1/3 litres (5 1/2 cups) of 1% milk, stir in 5 tbsp of powdered skim milk and heat in the microwave to 170F. Pour the hot milk into a large thermos and let cool to between 120-130F. I gently add 1/3 cup of commercial yogurt without stirring, cover and place a towel around the container, and place in an insulated lunch bag with a tea cozy over all. I leave it overnight or 10 hours and refrigerate. I use about 3/4 cup on my oatmeal each morning. Fresh fruit over all and I am satisfied til lunch.

Re flavouring - I have considered adding stevia and vanilla but not done so as yet so cannot answer that question. Artificial lemon flavouring might work but lemon juice with high acidity would cause problems.[/QUOTE

Thank you, Razz. I wondered about the acidity of the lemon, as it curdles milk.

But then yogurt is kind of curdled milk, I guess.

Jane, maybe I should get my husband an instant pot for Christmas. I'd like a quicker way to make bean soups and chilis.

[QUOTE=Tybee;337963]
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I make my yogurt weekly. I take 1 1/3 litres (5 1/2 cups) of 1% milk, stir in 5 tbsp of powdered skim milk and heat in the microwave to 170F. Pour the hot milk into a large thermos and let cool to between 120-130F. I gently add 1/3 cup of commercial yogurt without stirring, cover and place a towel around the container, and place in an insulated lunch bag with a tea cozy over all. I leave it overnight or 10 hours and refrigerate. I use about 3/4 cup on my oatmeal each morning. Fresh fruit over all and I am satisfied til lunch.

Re flavouring - I have considered adding stevia and vanilla but not done so as yet so cannot answer that question. Artificial lemon flavouring might work but lemon juice with high acidity would cause problems.[/QUOTE

Thank you, Razz. I wondered about the acidity of the lemon, as it curdles milk.

But then yogurt is kind of curdled milk, I guess.

Jane, maybe I should get my husband an instant pot for Christmas. I'd like a quicker way to make bean soups and chilis.
    If I'm any judge, you won't regret it. I use mine nearly daily for everything from warming stuff up (I don't have a microwave), to cooking rice, bone broth/soups, meat, desserts, even (gasp) beans and pasta. They're on sale all the time, and there may be big Black Friday deals. One of the newer models has a sous vide function, which is particularly good for precision cooking. If you like flavorful fare, Urvashi Pitre has a couple of cookbooks (and a website: twosleevers.com)--I hear her (Indian) butter chicken is delightful.

[QUOTE=JaneV2.0;337969]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post

If I'm any judge, you won't regret it. I use mine nearly daily for everything from warming stuff up (I don't have a microwave), to cooking rice, bone broth/soups, meat, desserts, even (gasp) beans and pasta. They're on sale all the time, and there may be big Black Friday deals. One of the newer models has a sous vide function, which is particularly good for precision cooking. If you like flavorful fare, Urvashi Pitre has a couple of cookbooks (and a website: twosleevers.com)--I hear her (Indian) butter chicken is delightful.
    Thank you, I think I will look for one for him; he is an avid daily cook. His other present I got him is a Cuisinart cast iron dutch oven since he is always using mine and never cleans it to my satisfaction, so I am getting him one he can do whatever he wants with.

I have made yogurt quite a bit. I have a little 6-jar incubator. When I have made vanilla yogurt, I've added the thick vanilla paste stuff (can't think of what it's called) to the hot milk or steeped a vanilla bean in it. I might suggest adding lemon zest (probably would take a good bit) to the milk, but not lemon juice.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I have made yogurt quite a bit. I have a little 6-jar incubator. When I have made vanilla yogurt, I've added the thick vanilla paste stuff (can't think of what it's called) to the hot milk or steeped a vanilla bean in it. I might suggest adding lemon zest (probably would take a good bit) to the milk, but not lemon juice.
    The vanilla bean idea is brilliant!

Thread Information