Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra Club: To Have or Not to Have Children in the Age of Climate Change

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Maybe international travellers could go to Ebola hot spots and spread germs that will wipe people out and help save the planet. Or maybe they could go to sex tourism destinations in southeast Asia and catch AIDS and spread that.

ETA: There's also the idea in Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal.
    boring.

Edited to add
    ha, I posted same time Alan did, didn’t know that he posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Yes, but they show a trollish creativity rather than a witty one. Don't be a troll UL, we don't like trolls.
    You too, Alan, our forum's stern institutionalist, I appreciate the way you so evenhandedly dole out critiques of others. Thanks for the input! Always helpful!

The article was somewhat interesting, although her description of how she would live life without kids made me think: "please, let me kill myself now". You will spend all your time fighting for political change. ugh please let me kill myself. I hate politics so much, I feel I have a moral duty to try to do stuff, but it's like thinking I have a moral duty to drink frog blood every breakfast, or to keep two dozen pet rats and 10 pet cockaroaches, and about as appealing ... No wonder having kids looks way better and she decided to go with it. The art sounded okish though.
    Trees don't grow on money

I doubt climate change is most people’s motivation for why they don’t want children.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I doubt climate change is most people’s motivation for why they don’t want children.
    Yep, it had nothing to do with why I didnt have children. I just didnt want any.

When my youngest son was 10 he announced that I had overpopulated the world, etc. I said to him well think about who wouldn’t be here lecturing me). I always knew I wanted kids and my sister was the opposite. My oldest son never wanted any. I am glad that people are putting thought into the decision as every child should be wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    ”Most people” do not take climate change serious enough to make any significant lifestyle changes.

”Most people” do not take climate change serious enough to make any significant lifestyle changes.
    there are lifestyle changes and there is changing the ENTIRE of what one thought one's life would be. And that's what is hard and frankly I think extremely rare.

I don't mean people who never wanted kids for a dozen other reasons otherwise, they never saw the course of their life consisting of raising kids particularly, at most they might have thought "well maybe ...", but I mean those who did. Some of them are ok maybe with being aunts or uncles but um that implies other family members ARE having kids! If more people would consider only having one kid that's population control too though.
    Trees don't grow on money

Climate change is just one reason to consider when examining having or not children. She appears to be very thoughtful in the article but having the baby is the easiest part. It is the rest of the story raising the child to be a confident healthy adult that is the challenge.

So many children are negatively impacted by drug and alcohol abuse that this alone will be a factor in available for adoption numbers. EG - fetal-alcohol children can be very challenging requiring enormous time and $$$.

Are potential parents prepared to avoid drugs to protect the unborn and remain committed to the child for the first 20 years?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

The next generations are going to have shape policy, study the sciences, and lead or just be solid responsible citizens, and someone is going to have to do it. I'd far rather have a responsible concerned person like the writer as a parent rather than someone who is not in the same position. Matter of fact my hope would be for her or similar people to have a child or two for those reasons. I suppose you never know how kids will turn out, but there are some things that shape the odds one way or another.

I don't have children, partly by chance and partly by choice so am somewhat unqualified on certain matters.

Thread Information