Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra Club: To Have or Not to Have Children in the Age of Climate Change

Sierra Club: To Have or Not to Have Children in the Age of Climate Change

I think that this is an interesting topic. Having kids is one of the things on the "don't do list" if you want to stop or reverse climate change.

Here is the link:
    https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/20...climate-change

I think it's irrelevant, it really has nothing to do with why you don't want kids. And any woman you meet who doesn't want kids because climate change is probably not going to be into a lot of other things either including international travel because climate change. I mean denying oneself is denying oneself.

Of course if they never wanted kids anyway having f all to do with climate change which they don't spend much time brooding about, that's another story.
    Trees don't grow on money

So is the link a save the planet, go kill yourself thing?

Yppej
    Maybe international travellers could go to Ebola hot spots and spread germs that will wipe people out and help save the planet. Or maybe they could go to sex tourism destinations in southeast Asia and catch AIDS and spread that.

ETA: There's also the idea in Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal.

Seemed like a reasonable article to me. Not so much about not having kids, but the thought process involved related to climate change. I suspect it is something a lot of the younger generations are thinking about.

Interesting article. Kudos to the author for sharing herself and her personal thoughts on such a delicate - and personal - topic.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Maybe international travellers could go to Ebola hot spots and spread germs that will wipe people out and help save the planet. Or maybe they could go to sex tourism destinations in southeast Asia and catch AIDS and spread that.

ETA: There's also the idea in Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal.
    This is one of my better Yppej memes.

uuuuuuuuuuuu.JPG

I know several young people who don't seem in any hurry to reproduce, or have declared themselves opposed to having children, and none of them have cited climate change. I think personal freedom and economics are more likely reasons; working full time while juggling child care is a daunting task, and the payoffs of parenthood are dicey.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I think it's irrelevant, it really has nothing to do with why you don't want kids. And any woman you meet who doesn't want kids because climate change is probably not going to be into a lot of other things either including international travel because climate change. I mean denying oneself is denying oneself.

Of course if they never wanted kids anyway having f all to do with climate change which they don't spend much time brooding about, that's another story.
    I don't think most people approach their lifestyle choices regarding climate change as an all or none methodology.

For instance, a person may own a camper van and only take road trips for travel. And their reasoning may be because it is less costly to the planet (even though it is still costly compared to walking or biking).

One of the reasons I don't want kids -- and this has been the case since I was young and first thought about it -- is overpopulation. My parents talked to me about overpopulation when I was VERY young, and this made sense.

But I also think it is worth noting that climate change could be just one factor in a person's choice not to have kids. It could be one component in a pros and cons list.

Either way, it is an interesting idea.

Though I think that as the climate crisis worsens, those that choose not to have kids will not cite climate change as their reason, but things related to climate change, such as economic woes, societal instability, the world going to hell in a hand basket.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    This is one of my better Yppej memes.

uuuuuuuuuuuu.JPG
    Yes, but they show a trollish creativity rather than a witty one. Don't be a troll UL, we don't like trolls.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information