Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Political Opposite

Funny to me how the term 'political opposite' is so readily understood. I just want "good responsible government". I suppose it is all in the details of what that means.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

There is some good writing yet to be found in the New Republic. I think that used to be true at the New York Times and the Atlantic maybe ten years ago, but relentless ideological purging over the years has rendered most of their stuff formulaic and predictable.

You used to see some interesting things at Slate, but apparently they now limit hiring to junior varsity troll types. Maybe it’s a financial thing.

NPR and PBS political reporting and commentary currently strike me as not so much left-biased as reflexively politically correct. They seem terrified of offending their liberal, relatively affluent core audience. There is an almost tragic smugness about it. Although I do like some of the non political content.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Funny to me how the term 'political opposite' is so readily understood. I just want "good responsible government". I suppose it is all in the details of what that means.
    I think you’re right there. Penetrate the crust of Trumpblindness, and you will see significant similarities between Trump and say, Sanders on immigration and economic issues. I don’t think definable “poles” really exist in politics, at least in general terms.

I think perhaps that people trying to postulate ideological taxonomies, like Orwell’s hedgehog, are trapped by “one big idea” and fail to grasp the true complexity.

This has always hit me as close, but not perfect.

News-Quality.V4.jpg

Yppej
    Interesting graphic Rogar.

Thread Information