Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exciting Football - CFL - Grey Cup

Exciting Football - CFL - Grey Cup

The 107th Grey Cup football game will be played on November 24, between the undefeated Hamilton Tiger Cats and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. ESPN2 will distribute the signal for US viewers. Entre Amis

Today I watched the Western Final... Blue Bombers versus the Saskatchewan Rough Riders on frozen turf... a suspenseful game filled with surprises. I muted most of the commercials.

Is this soccer?

I believe it’s actually American football, but with some different rules, if I remember correctly.

Canadian Football rules.

The players, coaches, and spectators can legally smoke marijuana after the game. (Not to say that they all do!)

Funny to admit that at one point I knew the Canadian rules and thought that Canadian football was much more interesting to watch.than the US I cannot now remember why and how the rules made it more interesting. Any reminders that you could share, Dado?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

My experience of it is that it plays a little faster than the US version.

Agreed, LDAHL.

There are 3 downs (rather than 4 in the US rules) to advance the ball 10 yards, so the possession of the ball changes frequently unless the offense is gaining rapidly.

There are 12 players on each side (rather than 11 in US rules). The playing area is 110x65 yards, and passers tend to roll out rather than drop back.

Running plays in the CFL develop differently, in part because the defensive line sets up a yard away from the ball, and in part because more motion in the backfield is allowed before the snap.

NFL players are generally bigger, faster and higher paid athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Agreed, LDAHL.

There are 3 downs (rather than 4 in the US rules) to advance the ball 10 yards, so the possession of the ball changes frequently unless the offense is gaining rapidly.

There are 12 players on each side (rather than 11 in US rules). The playing area is 110x65 yards, and passers tend to roll out rather than drop back.

Running plays in the CFL develop differently, in part because the defensive line sets up a yard away from the ball, and in part because more motion in the backfield is allowed before the snap.

NFL players are generally bigger, faster and higher paid athletes.
    It has a certain fluidity to it that the more ponderous, fits-and-starts American version lacks.
    Last edited by LDAHL; 11-18-19 at 1:04pm.

This is a good night for coach Mike O'Shea and the victorious Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

CFL! Wow! I did not know this still existed. I used to watch it way back in the day when I adjusted the TV antenna just so.

Thread Information