Thread: Sublocade

Yppej

Sublocade

I just saw my first ad for this prescription drug. I guess it was only a matter of time until Big Pharma, which created the opioid epidemic, decided to cash in on fixing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I just saw my first ad for this prescription drug. I guess it was only a matter of time until Big Pharma, which created the opioid epidemic, decided to cash in on fixing it.
    I'm not familiar with Sublocade but I did spend the last 12 years of my working life with a small pharma outfit who's only viable product was Vivitrol, a timed release sterile injectable designed to block opioid receptors. My company created the product but never dealt with opioids of any kind during the products first 15 years of life.

It appears that Sublocade does the same thing although a cursory glance tells me that it is based on Buprenorphine, a Schedule III opioid, while Vivitrol is based on Naltrexone, a non scheduled opiate antagonist. The Buprenorphine in Sublocade attaches itself to brain receptors as well and will not allow other opioids to attach, so both products essentially achieve the same result although Vivitrol has the added benefit of helping regulate the abuse of alcohol as well through its receptor blocking action. Pharma has been working on, and providing viable relief to victims of the opioid crisis for quite some time so I'm not sure why this is news now.

I don't keep up with the industry any longer but I know that Buprenorphine was close to being dropped from the DEA's narcotic schedule as recently as last year due to it's mild opioid effect and being nowhere near useful in getting high, at least not in low dosage situations.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

That was interesting to read, Alan. I am so often surprised what comes up on this site discovering solutions that were news to me.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Relief yea, though these drugs seem to make people into a type of zombie, seems to me, not in a real overt way, but is anyone taking them (forever) actually living a normal life? I mean they say weed kills motivation but ...
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Relief yea, though these drugs seem to make people into a type of zombie, seems to me, not in a real overt way, but is anyone taking them (forever) actually living a normal life? I mean they say weed kills motivation but ...
    They're not meant to be taken forever, they're typically timed release injections which inhibit the patient's ability to get high for up to a month per injection. If someone is serious about getting clean several injections should give them a head start in recovery.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thought that an update might help in understanding the possibilities.
    Timmins in northern Ontario has high OD of opioid rates so a new approach was very badly needed.

These two MD's are doing the research to find a better way to help addicts with both the drugs and compassion and gradually persuading others to join them. It is a positive story.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/opioi...each-1.6279543
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I carry Naloxone (Narcan) with me, and it's saved a few lives. Not sure it's a big-pharma plot though.

Definitely a big-pharma plot. Dead people buy no drugs.

Thread Information