Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nature

Geila

Nature

Yesterday I was reminded of just how much spiritual nurturance I get from nature. Seeing the absolutely beautiful fall colors on the trees just leaves me in awe. I can sit for a long time just soaking it all in. As I sit here at my computer I can see one of my trees turning golden right outside my window and I just find it incredibly beautiful.

Our backyard has lots of crunchy leaves and the whole thing feels very woodsy with several trees turning color and the camellias beginning to bloom. I love my backyard. I can sit back there and feel like I'm in the country instead of smack in the middle of a large urban city. I feel transformed. I imagine that's how many people feel at church. Nature is my church. It's my spiritual place.

I get the same sense of joy from my pets. A sense of my spirit, or soul, being lifted and expanded, like a big balloon.

Anyone else find their bliss in leaves?

I've always said I was raised by a grove of trees. Yes, they have nurtured my soul since I was little.

All through my life, I have turned to nature for help and comfort.

I love fall......but I have to admit, we have so many leaves to collect that it lessens my joy a bit. But in the end, it makes incredible mulch/compost.
    I'm with you Geila.........I get so much joy from nature.

I love our beautiful backyard and enjoy it with my husband and doggies. We have 3 big trees and sometimes I hate the leaves when we are picking them up)

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I love our beautiful backyard and enjoy it with my husband and doggies. We have 3 big trees and sometimes I hate the leaves when we are picking them up)
    I have 3 red maples in my front yard and they look wonderful for a week or two each fall before the leaves drop. I mulch them in place and they just sort of disappear. Our back yard has about 30 mature trees of all sorts and the leaves are overwhelming. I think I'll be mulching back there till January, that's when I think Iris Lillies is right about trees.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

When we lived in Wisconsin we just left them and it was fine. Now with astro-turf they have to go. The neighbor in front has a huge tree and all it's leaves blow into our yard and stop because we have a circular side porch that traps them. Alan, your backyard sounds beautiful but overwhelming.

I agree. Nature is, for me, more spiritual than any church could ever be.

I went to a Japanese garden recently, it was fantastic, calming, changing one's whole point of view. Really liking that aesthetic.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post

Anyone else find their bliss in leaves?
    I sure do! One of the best parts of my old house in NJ was being right next door to a park. It's funny, because my son who is now living there sent me a photo of the same park, which he was inspired to take because of its beauty, and I have so many of those photos. But more than that, I have so many memories of walking my dog through the park throughout the years, watching the trees bloom, then die over the four seasons. I know exactly what you mean about the joy and peace of being among trees. BTW, your yard must be beautiful! So nice to have a retreat right outside your door!

I don't have a lt of trees in my yard here in VT, ironically, except for a gorgeous mature maple (and a few ashes), but I do have the lake, and I walk down to the dock and watch the water and the sun.

Doctors in Scotland are allowed to prescribe nature to their patients. I think we should do the same here.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Forest bathing is recognized as part of wellness therapy. Just one site covers a whole collection of articles on the benefits.
    https://www.natureandforesttherapy.org/about/science
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I agree with you all! I love getting out first thing in the morning for a walk and I miss it when I don't. I get to walk past fields and seeing the transitions through the seasons of planting, growing and harvesting... it's just wonderful seeing the changes.

Nice thread! Thanks for starting it!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information