Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nature

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I went to a Japanese garden recently, it was fantastic, calming, changing one's whole point of view. Really liking that aesthetic.
    Japanese gardens are wonderful. That’s really the only reason I would visit Japan not that I have anything against it but there are so many other places in Asia I would rather go.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Japanese gardens are wonderful. That’s really the only reason I would visit Japan not that I have anything against it but there are so many other places in Asia I would rather go.
    I had one of my very favorite travel experiences on a business trip to Portland when I went to the Japanese garden there. It was a profound experience..

I'm going to Japan for business in early December--I don't think the National Garden will be optimal in the winter, but I'm still going to go.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I had one of my very favorite travel experiences on a business trip to Portland when I went to the Japanese garden there. It was a profound experience..

I'm going to Japan for business in early December--I don't think the National Garden will be optimal in the winter, but I'm still going to go.
    Would you believe I lived in the Portland area for over thirty years, and never visited the Japanese Garden? I may get there yet.

Geila
    Agree on the beauty of Japanese gardens. We have one nearby and I always enjoy visiting. We have a few elements of the Japanese garden (bamboo, Japanese maples, camellias, heavenly bamboo, water feature, etc.), and I love that they are beautiful year-round. The Japanese maple branches become bright red after they lose their golden leaves in the fall. Sadly, I lost two flowering cherries that we planted in the wrong spot.

I've heard wonderful things about the Portland gardens and would love to go up and see them sometime.

Over the years I've slowly eliminated plantings that didn't thrive here and would up with a strange mix of gardening styles (bamboo, palms, ash tree, etc...), but strangely enough it all works together quite well. I think nature knows how to harmonize even when we don't. Some of our larger trees have gotten quite big and it's time to cull some of the smaller ones to give them space and to avoid having everything too crowded. Dh and I are both dreading it. I had a similarly hard time when I had to take out all my rose bushes.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post

Over the years I've slowly eliminated plantings that didn't thrive here and would up with a strange mix of gardening styles (bamboo, palms, ash tree, etc...), but strangely enough it all works together quite well. I think nature knows how to harmonize even when we don't. Some of our larger trees have gotten quite big and it's time to cull some of the smaller ones to give them space and to avoid having everything too crowded. Dh and I are both dreading it. I had a similarly hard time when I had to take out all my rose bushes.

I hate taking trees down, but I know sometimes it's inevitable. But the sound of the equipment is horrible.

Since taking my 2 Master Gardener classes, I'm totally into planting native flowers, shrubs and trees. We don't have many native roses up here. If any of you NE folks are here, please educate me!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Geila
    I hate taking trees down, but I know sometimes it's inevitable. But the sound of the equipment is horrible.

Since taking my 2 Master Gardener classes, I'm totally into planting native flowers, shrubs and trees. We don't have many native roses up here. If any of you NE folks are here, please educate me!
    The trees we'll be taking down (probably) are small crape myrtles so dh can do all of it with just a small chainsaw and manual saw. And crape myrtles are hard to kill so they will probably end up as shrubs whether we want it or not. I think that makes it easier. But we think we might have to cut down our big ash if we sell this house. It's big and close to the house and power lines due to our small lot and most people wouldn't want to keep it. That will be really hard. In fact, we might just take the financial hit and leave it just to avoid the emotional pain of cutting it down. It's a gorgeous tree and we really love it. We planted it when we got married and dedicated it to dh's parents, who both passed away when we was little. Much to our delight and surprise, it grew very quickly into a beautiful tree. Maybe if we put a swing on it it will sway would-be buyers into keeping it for their kids. I'm not above pulling some heartstrings if it means the tree gets to live. I wish we could dig it up and take it with us when we move.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    When we lived in Wisconsin we just left them and it was fine. Now with astro-turf they have to go. The neighbor in front has a huge tree and all it's leaves blow into our yard and stop because we have a circular side porch that traps them. Alan, your backyard sounds beautiful but overwhelming.
    You must have had a unique yard when in WI. The leaves here make a mess if not mulched or taken away!

Just this week DH learned that he is called by nearby neighbors in Hermann “chainsaw guy.” He is happy with that moniker. He brought home a slice of dead tree, one with interesting fungus growth on it, thinking might use it in a flower show. I might.

I am sure our Hermann neighbors are sick and tired of the chainsawing and the fires that burn up debris. Fortunately he is 7/8 done with felling the tiny forest of junk trees on our property.A year from now it will be all done.

Unfortunately, we have to take down one of the beautiful high quality shade trees in front of our Hermann house when we build a garage. It is a big 50 year old maple that has gorgeous fall color. That does not make any of us happy, including our architect who lives across the street from us.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 11-22-19 at 1:27pm.

Geila
    CathyA - I was just enjoying my trees again (which are starting to turn orange and red), and remembered the beautiful photos you used to share and that you haven't posted any in a while (or maybe I've missed them).

Thread Information