Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for SLN Pundits on the Democratic Debate

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    But it is a good idea to look to the government to solve your problem? I dont think so.
    What would you suggest IL? Should all catastrophic care in this country that people can't afford be handled through GoFundMe? Beggars on the streets?

Young diabetics are dying when the founders of insulin didn’t patent it so it would be cheap for everyone. Now pharmacology companies are getting rich while people are dying. How can anyone think that’s acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Young diabetics are dying when the founders of insulin didn’t patent it so it would be cheap for everyone. Now pharmacology companies are getting rich while people are dying. How can anyone think that’s acceptable.
    Gee, and here I thought laissez-faire capitalism would regulate itself. /sarcasm
    Ready the tumbrels. lads!

Now pharmacology companies are getting rich while people are dying. How can anyone think that’s acceptable.
    Is that like saying we have well off people in expensive homes with extra bedrooms while homeless people are freezing to death on the streets?

If that's the case, you may be happy to know the governor of California has suggested doctors prescribe housing for homeless people, I'm assuming on someone else's dime. I'm not sure how that would work but if we held ourselves to the same standard some of us do to business, I'm sure we could fix the homeless problem overnight.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    If that's the case, you may be happy to know the governor of California has suggested doctors prescribe housing for homeless people, I'm assuming on someone else's dime.
    But even the health insurance companies themselves are prioritizing addressing homelessness at this point. For a lot of reasons, and not probably primarily PR, although sure it's good PR too, but it's a healthcare cost driver, it's a public health issue etc. etc..
    Trees don't grow on money

No it’s not the same Alan. If the inventors wanted it cheap and didn’t patent it companies should not be able to circumvent that and kill people for profit. That’s very different than taking homeless in your house. I often think you come up with silly comparisons on purpose.

I often think you come up with silly comparisons on purpose.
    Just ones to make you think. I've found that the ones that hit closest to home are often considered my silliest.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

It’ll be interesting to see what the conservatives here offer up as a solution to people dying because they can’t afford easily available medicines that doesn’t involve government.

And equally interesting when they get pissed when people point out that it’s kind of heartless that they are fine with the fact that in the richest nation in the world people are fine with others dying of easily treatable diseases.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    It’ll be interesting to see what the conservatives here offer up as a solution to people dying because they can’t afford easily available medicines that doesn’t involve government.

And equally interesting when they get pissed when people point out that it’s kind of heartless that they are fine with the fact that in the richest nation in the world people are fine with others dying of easily treatable diseases.
    I think they only get pissed when you assume they're fine with it. I've offered a solution, hold ourselves to the same standard we hold evil rich corporations. If government gets involved it'll cost you the same as donating a couple prescriptions to a random diabetic but you get the added benefit of telling us all how generous you are. I'd think that would be a no-brainer for lots of folks. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post

Went to Mexico recently where many US citizens were buying AFFORDABLE drugs (including us). Totally outrageous that we don’t have the same.

Thread Information