Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for SLN Pundits on the Democratic Debate

Ten minutes into the Nevada debate and it's already a brawl. This may be the best one yet!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Ten minutes into the Nevada debate and it's already a brawl. This may be the best one yet!
    I know! I feel sorry for the moderators! The gloves are off!!

ETA: to be honest, this is almost painful to watch.. It's like watching your kids fight and you can't get in there to stop them.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I was not dealing with all the anger and switched over to the more tame PBS Nova show on weasels for a while. I think someone posted a piece of paper on Bloomberg's back that said kick me. I've already voted for Buttegieg and he is still the one who makes the most sense to me. I acknowledge the fact that we could do some income leveling with a better tax structure or a different rewards system, but the demonizing of wealth and corporate profits is beyond my intentions. That has seemed to be some of the core discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I've already voted for Buttegieg and he is still the one who makes the most sense to me. I acknowledge the fact that we could do some income leveling with a better tax structure or a different rewards system, but the demonizing of wealth and corporate profits is beyond my intentions. That has seemed to be some of the core discussions.
    I was favoring Buttegieg on the Democratic side as well but over the last couple of days I've surprised myself by leaning towards Bloomberg as he seems to me to be the most rational of the bunch. I frankly fear for the safety of the top 10% in this country when I listen to Sanders and Warren, I could never support anyone carrying around that much disdain and hate. I like listening to Klobuchar too but she seems nervous all the time which puts me off (once you notice her hair vibrating you can't un-see it), but I'd take her any day over half the others.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    I felt both Bloomberg and Sanders took hits, but Bloomberg got the worst of it because he was credibly compared to Trump. Klobuchar did not have a winning performance like she did in the last debate. Buttigieg attacked other people for not being the nice uniter, but attacking is not nice, including his gleeful smirkiness over Klobuchar not knowing the name of the president of Mexico. Warren was very aggressive which may shore up her support as she portrays herself as someone who will fight for you. Biden was largely ignored so didn't do badly until he was heckled. It was definitely the most lively and interesting debate so far. Bloomberg stumbled over his words some - not to the degree Biden has in the past, but I wonder as the field winnows will his age hurt him more.

I didn't watch, but probably will tomorrow since SO tivo'd it while he's off at his bowling league tonight. But, geez, this blow by blow recap... Maybe I should've watched it live!

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...ocratic-debate

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    It sure looked like "Four More Years" to me.

Pundits keep referring to it as “fiery”, or “a brawl”, but it just looked like tepid high school snark to me. For the brilliant technocrat Bloomberg portrays himself to be, he didn’t seem very well prepared for the predictable attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I felt both Bloomberg and Sanders took hits, but Bloomberg got the worst of it because he was credibly compared to Trump. Klobuchar did not have a winning performance like she did in the last debate. Buttigieg attacked other people for not being the nice uniter, but attacking is not nice, including his gleeful smirkiness over Klobuchar not knowing the name of the president of Mexico. Warren was very aggressive which may shore up her support as she portrays herself as someone who will fight for you. Biden was largely ignored so didn't do badly until he was heckled. It was definitely the most lively and interesting debate so far. Bloomberg stumbled over his words some - not to the degree Biden has in the past, but I wonder as the field winnows will his age hurt him more.
    Great recap, but I think Bernie held up. He came under a lot of attack, but that's to be expected given he's the biggest threat to the other candidates at this point.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Sometime I'd like to hear Bernie's rationale behind his rants on big pharma greed. Last night he quote a figure of big pharma profits as something like an outrageous many billions. I wonder where he got that figure. My basic understanding of accounting is that profits are either distributed to shareholders as dividends or reinvested in the company for expansion or R+D. Big pharma companies are publicly owned through the stock market. Those "greedy" profits" would provide value to the company in terms of either income or increases in book values of the company. Which then would be passed on to the stock holders, as in the general stock owning public. If these profits were indeed so huge, people would be flocking to buy stock in big pharma?

No doubt it's not a perfect system. I'm sure there are grossly overpaid CEO likes, just like all big companies. And there are a few pill pushers and bad players. But are the profits really that extraordinary or just a normal return on investment just like any other big corporation?

Thread Information