Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for SLN Pundits on the Democratic Debate

What about the ONLY interesting sideshow of the debate? After the debate, when Warren seemed to have some not-too-friendly words with Bernie instead of shaking his hand. They've come up with the audio for that exchange--Elizabeth said to him, "I think you called me a liar on national TV," and a short exchange ensued.

My thought is, after all these years in politics and the media, was she so enflamed and annoyed by Bernie that she stupidly let down her guard and lashed out in full view of all the people watching?? Do you think this 10 seconds will hurt either campalgn?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    What about the ONLY interesting sideshow of the debate? After the debate, when Warren seemed to have some not-too-friendly words with Bernie instead of shaking his hand. They've come up with the audio for that exchange--Elizabeth said to him, "I think you called me a liar on national TV," and a short exchange ensued.

My thought is, after all these years in politics and the media, was she so enflamed and annoyed by Bernie that she stupidly let down her guard and lashed out in full view of all the people watching?? Do you think this 10 seconds will hurt either campalgn?
    Well, they can’t both be telling the truth. I think their respective followers will continue the kerfuffle past ten seconds. In 2016 the Bernie supporters seemed to nurse a bit of a grudge over the way he was treated.

Personally, I think her campaign put the story out there a few days in advance of the debate because they new she would be asked about it and could deliver her “ women can win” moment.

I’m not sure her righteous anger display afterward wasn’t also a calculated move to display toughness.

I think it will hurt both campaigns. Biden as the nominee, and probably loses to Trump. I'm not sure the whole thing wasn't scripted. Noone will ever really know what was said and a conversation that only two people were ever privy to isn't evidence, period. Maybe the NSA cares to step in. It shouldn't even be reported if we had legitimate news instead of CNN, I mean you have actual evidence of something, then fine, that kind of dirty is used all the time, we had two governor candidates cheating on their wives last time here, but not this, this isn't even evidence. She could have said anything, that Sander's went into a racist rant at the dinner table, and it wouldn't be disprovable (just even more out of character for Sanders and so even less believable). But talking about it only a few weeks before the election is definitely a planned move and dirty.
    Trees don't grow on money

I think if it comes up in the debate, it’s legitimate news.

I think it was interesting how the moderator first gave Bernie the chance to deny it, but then proceeded to ask Warren a question that assumed it was true.

I’m inclined to believe Bernie, given Warren’s history of revising her history to suit the political needs of the moment. I think Bernie’s quite mad, but he’s honest.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

You are so right--this was where the real drama occurred, it seems to me. Both looked genuinely shook. I think she did lash out. Not sure if it hurt or helped her. The body language was very telling--to me, she seemed to be telling the truth, and he did not handle it well. I thought. I thought she actually came off the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post

The establishment believes only Biden can win. They thought that about Hillary too. They are wrong.
    Hillary is an entirely different story. She was the polar opposite of Biden - fiery, more to the left, the wife of a very controversial, polarizing president, and a woman. My point about Biden is that he's none of these, he's the vanilla to the rest of the candidates' Rocky Road and the POTUS's Fried Liver and Cupcakes flavor.

And yeah, I would totally rather have Rocky Road than vanilla. And I agree with APN that we had other brands of vanilla that would have served better than Biden - but now we don't. I just can't get past the image of another four years of a completely inedible mess.

There are many similarities between Biden and Trump, beside the shared demographic.

Both have a troubled relationship with the truth.

Both have endured criticism of their children.

Both like to talk tough in the schoolyard bully manner.

Both obtained draft deferments during the Vietnam war period.

Both are known for speaking before thinking.

Both like to extort Ukrainians.

You can’t tell me a debate between the two wouldn’t be a master class in prevarication and obfuscation.

Yppej
    I have heard it reported, and believe, that Sanders told Warren Trump would try to weaponize the fact that she is a woman. That is not the same as saying she cannot win. Before this kerfuffle erupted, years ago, I had read that he urged her to run in 2016, which he reiterated in the debate.

I think Warren is the liar here. When she was talking about this she was touching her nose and face. I don't know if that goes back to childhood tales of Pinocchio or what, but that is body language indicating dishonesty. But still I think she won the debate on style which is what many voters look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I have heard it reported, and believe, that Sanders told Warren Trump would try to weaponize the fact that she is a woman. That is not the same as saying she cannot win. Before this kerfuffle erupted, years ago, I had read that he urged her to run in 2016, which he reiterated in the debate.

I think Warren is the liar here. When she was talking about this she was touching her nose and face. I don't know if that goes back to childhood tales of Pinocchio or what, but that is body language indicating dishonesty. But still I think she won the debate on style which is what many voters look at.
    I wonder if both could be right due to some ambiguous wording that could be interpreted both ways. I also considered their age and that Bernie forgot what he said or Warren couldn't hear what he said (ha ha). It seems like the media latched onto this like a dog with a bone and it was an over rated as significant.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    You can’t tell me a debate between the two wouldn’t be a master class in prevarication and obfuscation.
    We may get to test that out!

I'm willing to vote Republican IF it comes down to Biden as the Dem nominee, provided that Rep. isn't Trump. Do you find either of the other Rep candidates at all appealing?

Thread Information