Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for SLN Pundits on the Democratic Debate

The low or no cost supplemental plans are generally "Medicare Advantage" plans. The often have small co-pays, require a primary care physician referrals to see other doctors, and higher costs for out of network providers. Don't take my word for it, it's complicated. I understand both UnitedHealthcare and Kaiser are reliable providers that offer Medicare Advantage plans.

https://www.investopedia.com/article...ich-better.asp

I learned a lot about Medicare Advantage plans in dealing with my parents, rehab, hospitalization, and nursing home care. They are great until you need rehab and then they are horrendous. The social worker at the nursing home went on and on about horrible experiences with them--like the guy who had both legs amputated and they would not pay for rehab, sent him home after 3 days. She said original Medicare would have paid for rehab facility.
    They would not pay for any rehab facility for my mom, who had a gangrenous leg ulcer and advanced dementia and no nearby family to care for her.

My parents had Humana and they were absolutely horrid.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    My parents had Humana and they were absolutely horrid.
    Did they have a medigap policy or a medicare advantage? I imagine that they offer both.

Not all Medicare Advantage plans are the same. I'd offer as a suggestion the book, Medicare for Dummies which I've browsed through or the medicare.gov "plan finder."

"Medicare Advantage plans are required to provide the same benefits as Original Medicare."
    https://www.medicareadvantage.com/co...-pay-for-rehab

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Did they have a medigap policy or a medicare advantage? I imagine that they offer both.

Not all Medicare Advantage plans are the same. I'd offer as a suggestion the book, Medicare for Dummies which I've browsed through or the medicare.gov "plan finder."

"Medicare Advantage plans are required to provide the same benefits as Original Medicare."
    https://www.medicareadvantage.com/co...-pay-for-rehab
    They had Humana advantage. The social worker said the are notorious for denying care thatorigal approves.

Tybee, you might also consider if you doctors of choice will accept Medicare patients. The doctor I've used for years won't accept medicare patients but will take patients with advantage plans. Also, some of my friends who have gone on medicare have had trouble finding good doctors that will take medicare patients, but will take advantage patients. It's a complicated choice and there isn't one right plan for everyone.

But you have to have a supplemental plan, right? To protect your assets. Just like with old health insurance before you qualify for Medicare—even if you dont use health care services you need insurance for the catastrophic thing that wipes out your assets.

[
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    But you have to have a supplemental,plan, right? To protect your assets. Just like with old health insurance before you qualify for Medicate—even if you dont use health care services you meed insurance for the catastrophic thing that wipes out your assets.
    That's my take. Everyone should have either an Advantage plan or Medigap, plus whatever it is people should make sure they have some sort of drug coverage. I recall there is a penalty for signing up for drug coverage after the initial enrollment. It's too bad it so complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    [

That's my take. Everyone should have either an Advantage plan or Medigap, plus whatever it is people should make sure they have some sort of drug coverage. I recall there is a penalty for signing up for drug coverage after the initial enrollment. It's too bad it so complicated.
    oh right—that’s where the
    lifetime penalty resides. I was trying to remember where that was.

The penalty is an entirely arbitrary thing.

Nanny G—she giveth and she taketh away.

People locally said no one will take Medicare for reasons they went to advantage plans and we have found that not to be true. Once you go on a advantage plan you can’t go back unless you can pass medical underwriting. The reason the advantage plans are cheap or free is because if you need a lifesaving procedure or drug they can require you to under go a step plan that’s cheaper and by the time you get to the step you need you will probably be dead so they saved money.

Thread Information