Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Looking for SLN Pundits on the Democratic Debate

I’ve been to Herman. It’s a lovely area and town.

I just looked at images of Herman--boy, it really looks like Galena! I loved Galena when we lived in Illinois, and we had friends with houses there.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    IL, yes you are in a tiny town where that kind of service is cheap. Can’t imagine wanting to live there.
    Haha, to each their own, TT! You'd REALLY hate my town. As for me, I'm so done with traffic and strip malls.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    IL, yes you are in a tiny town where that kind of service is cheap. Can’t imagine wanting to live there.
    Is health care cheap in “tiny towns”? I would have thought the opposite was true.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Is health care cheap in “tiny towns”? I would have thought the opposite was true.
    I have no idea. I just know that it’s easy to get around. I don’t have to negotiate giant parking garages that go to the sky and find my dr’s office in a maze on a 10th floor. Same for mammogram test.

But the healthcare options here are very limited and I will run up against that limitation very soon, I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I have no idea. I just know that it’s easy to get around. I don’t have to negotiate giant parking garages that go to the sky and find my dr’s office in a maze on a 10th floor. Same for mammogram te
    But the healthcare options here are very limited and I will run up against that limitation very soon, I imagine.
    We have one health center on the Islands, which is good for physicals. No 3-month wait for appointments. Very friendly and thorough service. Plus, they're affiliated with UVM Medical Center which is only 30 minutes away. Not as good as being within 10 minutes of a good hospital, but it's not bad for a rural island.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My brother also lives on an island. They have a little health center next door. It is great for things like upper respiratory infections etc. It is slow for dealing with referrals for more complicated things, and my brother had a lesion that they would not give him a referral to, and they ended up going down to Boston and going to a walk-in urgent care place, which got an appointment for the following day for my brother's skin cancer.

When jobs were no longer an issue and I could live wherever I wanted. I chose a small rust-belt midwestern city (about 35,000) on the shore of a Great Lake. Like the people, like the climate, like the culture. We can get to major cities when needed in a couple of hours without incurring the costs and inconveniences of living there. All the necessities and many of the luxuries are a few minutes away. No opera houses or Vietnamese-Tunisian restaurants in town, but my experience has been that big city dwellers brag about those things more than they use them.

So far, it’s been a good compromise between rural peace and urban excitement.

It sounds like IL has cheap HC because her unlimited access to her doctor isn’t expensive. We go to all the events here which is weekly 7 months of the year. We also like to go to different restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    When jobs were no longer an issue and I could live wherever I wanted. I chose a small rust-belt midwestern city (about 35,000) on the shore of a Great Lake. Like the people, like the climate, like the culture. We can get to major cities when needed in a couple of hours without incurring the costs and inconveniences of living there. All the necessities and many of the luxuries are a few minutes away. No opera houses or Vietnamese-Tunisian restaurants in town, but my experience has been that big city dwellers brag about those things more than they use them.

So far, it’s been a good compromise between rural peace and urban excitement.
    Funny you should mention Vietnamese because yeah – I do eat Vietnamese regularly. I would say that’s the one cuisine we go out to eat for 3 out of 5 times. Vietnamese is great because it’s very flavorful and it’s low calories, they don’t inject a lot of fat into the cooking. So see you thought you were being a smart ass, but in reality everyone should eat Vietnamese! But no ?Vietnamese for me in Hermann!

But truthfully, and this will make teacher Terry happy, I have on two or three separate occasions felt a wave of panic/ claustrophobia when am in downtown Hermann thinking oh my gosh, this it IT. This is all there is! This, plus our low 8’ foot ceilings in our bungalow make me feel a little cramped.But then I try to think about the big wide windows in our bungalow, they are 52 inches wide and they’re on three sides of the living room so they let in a lot of light. This is in contrast to the narrow slits of windows in our Victorian townhouse.

But you all know my plan to keep an apartment in the city of St. Louis for a few years anyway.

Thread Information