Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for SLN Pundits on the Democratic Debate

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    They’re shutting out Yang and pushing for Biden. Repeat of shutting out Bernie and pushing Hillary 4 years ago. It’s deja vu and Trumps gonna win against because of the democratic party’s ridiculous politicking.
    Wouldn’t the same polling and fundraising criteria apply to him as any of the others? It would not seem that some party cabal was working to shut him out so much as a relative lack of interest on the part of potential voters and donors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    It’s deja vu and Trumps gonna win against because of the democratic party’s ridiculous politicking.
    Watching the debate last night, my conclusion was that Trump will get re-elected unless he's in jail first.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Watching the debate last night, my conclusion was that Trump will get re-elected unless he's in jail first.
    For the “Party of the Ascendant”, they do seem a bit on the pale side. As one wag put it, you no longer need a color TV to watch the debates.

Will the primaries generate a electable candidate, or at least more electable than the current buffoon? You wouldn’t think it would be that hard. Five years ago, I would have had no doubt, but now I have no clue. I suspect we will be hearing more about how Russian Facebook posts did them in if they lose.

I think it might be better to return to the smoke filled room system.

Or Trump might win because of:

1) the good economy (highly manipulated but that's not reported on hardly at all, and it is better on main street and that matters more than such abstractions) plus
    2) incumbent advantage.

I mean wouldn't that be the most obvious explanation? Almost all incumbents have won.

I know people WANT TO BELIEVE they have some sort of agency to get Trump out by electing the right person, because they like believing in agency, that if only they could determine exactly who it is (oh this person has this plus and that minus and this person ...). Give it up. Elect someone good etc. sure and campaign for them (and if you can stomach it campaign for whoever the nom is, and if you can't don't). But after that ...
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Because she probably wouldn't have asked for forgiveness.

My only thought on Biden is that he may be the only candidate who can beat Trump, precisely because he's a wooden invisible flavorless old rich white man. He'd get the Dem vote in the end even if he's a very disappointing candidate, but more importantly, he might get the conservative vote over Trump as well. (I know I keep stumping for Biden, please don't mistake my resigned support for enthusiasm, I'm just trying to be practical about how to best remove the orange fungus from the white house.)

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    My only thought on Biden is that he may be the only candidate who can beat Trump, precisely because he's a wooden invisible flavorless old rich white man. He'd get the Dem vote in the end even if he's a very disappointing candidate, but more importantly, he might get the conservative vote over Trump as well. (I know I keep stumping for Biden, please don't mistake my resigned support for enthusiasm, I'm just trying to be practical about how to best remove the orange fungus from the white house.)
    Yea if one thought he was a fairly strong candidate but wasn't a fan of his policy, I could see this argument. But I find it hard to believe a candidate who can't say a sentence without stumbling is a strong candidate. I could be wrong. Someone might say: yea well, Trump is president! Yea but Trump's flaw there, wasn't that he could not talk, but that his speech did not cohere into any sort of even wrong argument (unlike any other of his Republican opponents). It's a level of subtlety above can't say a sentence without stumbling. And even if one believes it's stuttering with Biden, training the whole electorate on stuttering awareness, is not so easy. Trump of course is also very probably deteriorating mentally quite a lot but I'm not sure if that really helps Biden that much. There were better boring straight white males who dropped out or will.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    Trump is more concise with his one liner zings and brief Tweets. He has experience in newer media like reality TV. Biden is trying to not ramble, which results in his sometimes stopping midsentence in debates. He has trouble expressing himself, backtracking to correct what he says. When not under time pressure from a debate he rambles. I noticed this when I heard him in person.

The establishment believes only Biden can win. They thought that about Hillary too. They are wrong.

My only thought on Biden is that he may be the only candidate who can beat Trump, precisely because he's a wooden invisible flavorless old rich white man.
    The establishment believes only Biden can win. They thought that about Hillary too. They are wrong.
    I don't think anyone who can't stir people can win--doesn't matter what their qualifications are on paper. I agree with ANM and Yppej--Biden may be the "logical" contender, and, yes, he's the DNC darling, but that and $5 will buy you a copy of the November 5th NYTimes that will be announcing Trump's win.

I would say Bernie is the only one that has succeeded in getting the hearts as well as the minds of a good number of people looking for a Trump alternative, but the DNC will probably give him the shaft again, and it is a bit of a gamble to put someone so left of center up there to beat Trump, but I think it's worth a try.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I could be corrected on this, but I seem to recall that in 2016 the polls showed Bernie would do better against Trump than Hillary.

I missed the last debate other than news summaries but I still think any of them would make a better president than Donald. Biden is at the bottom of my favorites.

Thread Information