Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for SLN Pundits on the Democratic Debate

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I might vote Green or Libertarian if it were Biden vs Trump.
    I was thinking much the same thing.

Except for the Green part.

Voting for a third party candidate will help trump. Ugh!

Yppej
    I never feel badly about voting third party or writing in candidates. I would feel badly about not voting at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Voting for a third party candidate will help trump. Ugh!
    Not in Massachusetts. We could even vote for Trump and it wouldn't help Trump. The democratic candidate will win in our state.

Yppej
    My take on tonight's debate:

Steyer finally got more time and did OK, but no one sees him as a real threat. He spoke in favor of term limits and none of the incumbent politicians bothered to respond.

Klobuchar stuck to her pragmatist themes, but was always running over her allotted time and seemed a little desperate as a result.

Biden was careful to stay within the time limits and presented himself as a safe choice, but had no vision. The most supportive reactions he got were when he talked about Trump picking on him and his son, not any policies or programs to help the voters.

Buttigieg didn't stand out to me. He spoke in lofty but vague phrases about his vision of uniting the country post-Trump. He and Klobuchar both said Trump is so bad and I'm not Trump I'm decent, but everyone running can say that. Also several times he didn't answer the question he was asked. I liked the Des Moines Register reporter for calling people out when they did this.

Sanders by contrast focused on policy, but came across as shrill sometimes. I do like that he is the only one willing to take the strong measures needed to keep health care from bankrupting the country as our population ages.

Warren was passionate, did not come across as scripted at all, had policy specifics and did a good job addressing her electability. Her weakness is she has backed away from a single payer plan that covers everyone yet her plan is still expensive. But I felt in energy and tone she won this debate, and that she was particularly strong on corruption in government, which Sanders and Steyer also touched on.

I didn't see much new on the stage. Very few applause lines, but maybe that's because the room was filled with Iowans. I agree that Elizabeth Warren probably won the night. She did a great job in general and in particular on the question about the latest "scandal" about Bernie telling her a woman wouldn't/couldn't win.

I don't think any needles moved much. Klobuchar maybe slightly strengthened her position, but overall, I don't see any huge shift in poll numbers as a result of the lackluster rerun of the candidates' talking points. They must be getting sick of getting asked the same questions, too.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Biden seemed wooden, Mayor Pete seemed kind of frightened and frozen, I thought Klobuchar was good sometimes and not so good other--loved that she brought out the sandwich generation and long term care. I actually thought the Warren/Sanders woman president was rather negative for all, but I thought they both handled it pretty well.

The questions seemed off, and the energy was really down--we watched only first hour, so maybe it got better.

I found myself missing the livelier candidates like Yang, Booker, and Harris, and I don't even like Harris at all. But she had energy. Castro had good ideas, too.

I can't see Biden surging ahead after that. He seemed subdued, like people had told him to shut up to prevent gaffes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I actually thought the Warren/Sanders woman president was rather negative for all, but I thought they both handled it pretty well.
    I think she downplayed the issue well, although watching her body language as Sanders defended himself convinced me she lied about the whole thing. Her refusal to make eye contact with anyone while he talked was telling.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think she downplayed the issue well, although watching her body language as Sanders defended himself convinced me she lied about the whole thing. Her refusal to make eye contact with anyone while he talked was telling.
    I thought much the same thing. Warren has made revisions to past events before, and the issue coming up at such a tactically advantageous time seemed a bit smelly to me.

All in all, it seemed to mostly be an evening spent trying to avoid mistakes.

They’re shutting out Yang and pushing for Biden. Repeat of shutting out Bernie and pushing Hillary 4 years ago. It’s deja vu and Trumps gonna win against because of the democratic party’s ridiculous politicking.

Thread Information