Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Festive Look Without the Clutter

Festive Look Without the Clutter

Most years the only holiday decor I put up is outside lights. I Kondo'd my house and enjoy the clean uncluttered look and also like having the extra light without the xmas tree. When I put up the tree, even though I have a slender 7' artificial one, it always seems to suck up the light. So I only do a tree every 4-5 years.

But sometimes I do want a little bit of holiday cheer and this year is one of those times. I'm looking for ideas. Photos are much appreciated as I'm a very visual person.

I like lights. I have electric candles in the window that go on at dusk. I also have a garland that goes on for 6 hours per day (this one from Ikea: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/strala-...mini-50440902/ ). I put out a few extra candles and a bowl of shiny ornaments. I have a string of fairy lights over my bed. That, plus my little tabletop tree is pretty much all I do.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I like lights. I have electric candles in the window that go on at dusk. I also have a garland that goes on for 6 hours per day (this one from Ikea: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/strala-...mini-50440902/ ). I put out a few extra candles and a bowl of shiny ornaments. I have a string of fairy lights over my bed. That, plus my little tabletop tree is pretty much all I do.
    Thanks, Herbgeek! I love the garland. I can see putting up several of those around the house. What kind of fairy lights do you use?

A a fellow nature lover (and a total non Christmas lover), I definitely focus on the botanical stuff. I do lots of amaryllis bulbs and some paperwhites. I fill a couple of vases with holly and boxwood. I usually add my own decorations to a store-bought wreath, but occasionally make a swag for the door with greenery from the garden. I have a little wrought-iron ornament tree that I got some years ago and decorate with all nature-oriented decorations.
    If you go to my profile > albums >seasonal decorations you will see some of my stuff. Will try to post a link: http://www.simplelivingforum.net/album.php?albumid=140.

Lovely simplicity, rosa!

I fill a tall vase with different coloured balls for the buffet. I made some placemats with a wonderful poinsettia design that I love for the table. DH had made a little wooden reindeer basket painted white now sitting in the entryway that holds coloured balls and a cone resting on a small table covered with red cloth with tiny reindeer.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

\

What kind of fairy lights do you use?
    I use ones like these- I actually do have a set I got from Target, but others are generic from Amazon.

https://www.target.com/p/christmas-b...2/-/A-54446029

I start a couple of amaryllis bulbs, and my Christmas cactus always comes through for me.

I will probably put out a plaid tablecloth this year, and I have my old Swedish advent wreath with advent candles.

I put out my IKEA white candelabras.

Did not do a tree last year because of Miss sheepdog but she's older now and we will do a tree again and see how it goes.

A wreath on the door as you enter the house.

I keep promising to do one of these but I can't find enough wall space to pull it off:

Flat Christmas tree.jpg

And some years I'm just up to this:

Fb Economy Xmas Tree.jpg
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I keep promising to do one of these but I can't find enough wall space to pull it off:

Flat Christmas tree.jpg
    Well, I don' have much wall space, but I have less floor space--I love this idea!! I'm going to file it away..
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

9DC26611-D2D5-4E6E-A8C6-2A9D712AB541.jpgDont be a Grinch! Decorate largely! Haha, just kidding.

Here is a tree I made for today’s flower show competition called “ How the Grinch Stole Christmas.”

It is an Alberta Spruce in a pot which you can’t see and it acts as a skeleton. Branches of Arborvitae are stuck in to give it body, and wire at the top forms a bendable piece. This Spruce may survive long enough to be put in the ground.

Below is the entire exhibit which is an “exhibition table” type that suggests service of food.

E6BFF58F-4E73-48B1-825F-CBE6A912321C.jpg
    Last edited by iris lilies; 11-23-19 at 1:01am.

Thread Information