Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Festive Look Without the Clutter

Given the flower show this year and an installation for a fundraiser I’m doing, I don’t know how much decorating at home I will do it varies from year to year.

But here in the Midwest it is so easy to cut some white pine from around nearby even if you don’t have any in your yard. or community garden has bits, add some holly which we have here, and red fairy lights. Put it in two places in your Kondo-ized room and it will make a big impact because if your room isn’t cluttered new decorations will really show up!
    Last edited by iris lilies; 11-22-19 at 11:58pm.

I have downsized Xmas decorations a lot. We have a few for outside which don’t require electricity. I have a table top little tree and a few other favorites for inside.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I keep promising to do one of these but I can't find enough wall space to pull it off:

Attachment 3028

And some years I'm just up to this:

Attachment 3029
    Steve - you're funny!

I really like the shelf tree. Dh would be able to make something like that for me.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    A a fellow nature lover (and a total non Christmas lover), I definitely focus on the botanical stuff. I do lots of amaryllis bulbs and some paperwhites. I fill a couple of vases with holly and boxwood. I usually add my own decorations to a store-bought wreath, but occasionally make a swag for the door with greenery from the garden. I have a little wrought-iron ornament tree that I got some years ago and decorate with all nature-oriented decorations.
    If you go to my profile > albums >seasonal decorations you will see some of my stuff. Will try to post a link: http://www.simplelivingforum.net/album.php?albumid=140.
    Rosarugosa - your home looks so serene. I love it. It reminds me of a house I stayed at in Hawaii many years ago. It was up in the mountains and had the same lovely outdoor feel in a very natural and simple way. Thanks for sharing.

Geila
    For those of you who plant amaryllis - when do you plant them? And are they a reliable bloomer?

Rosa, I love the starfish wreath!

Thanks, Geila and Tybee. Just don't look at the kitchen.
    I buy a bunch of bulbs every year from John Scheepers in CT (johnscheepers.com). I bought 12 this year and gifted 4. I've potted up my 8 and 3 of them look like they are going to bloom within the next week or two. I might get the occasional clunker but overall they are pretty reliable. I like Scheepers' bulbs because they are large, high-quality bulbs. I tried bulbs from the local discount store one year, and there was no comparison. They also do quantity discounts and I can buy bare bulbs for much cheaper and provide my own pots and soil.

Here is my terrific bulb, purchased at Lowes a couple of weeks ago. (The other bulb has just produced foliage at this point.) There are four size inch diameter blooms:

20191207_103948.jpg20191207_103948.jpg
    Sorry it posted twice. Again, the second bulb, an apple blossom color, has done nothing but produce foliage.

This one has another bloom coming on a second stalk.

They are beautiful, Tybee!

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Here is my terrific bulb, purchased at Lowes a couple of weeks ago. (The other bulb has just produced foliage at this point.) There are four size inch diameter blooms:

20191207_103948.jpg20191207_103948.jpg
    Sorry it posted twice. Again, the second bulb, an apple blossom color, has done nothing but produce foliage.

This one has another bloom coming on a second stalk.
    Wow. Those are gorgeous.

Thread Information