Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Silly, but eye-opening info-graphic

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Regardless of season, unless you can harvest them wild somewhere, I'm quite sure you can't have blueberries and a $4 a day diet, if organic, they can near $4 just by themselves .
    Exactly. I think of the Nearings who died very old (100 for Scott who self-exterminated through starving and Helen, who had a car "accident" at age 92). They didn't have to eat quinoa from Peru to stay healthy, but they did live off their own land. In that there is physical exercise, discipline, purpose, and restraint.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I liked the article, thank you, Catherine. This quote:

"She lost followers “by the thousands” and received a daily raft of angry messages, including death threats. Some responded to her confession that she was suffering from an eating disorder by accusing her of being a “fat piece of lard” who didn’t have the discipline to be truly “clean”."

sums up everything that is wrong with social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I liked the article, thank you, Catherine. This quote:

"She lost followers “by the thousands” and received a daily raft of angry messages, including death threats. Some responded to her confession that she was suffering from an eating disorder by accusing her of being a “fat piece of lard” who didn’t have the discipline to be truly “clean”."

sums up everything that is wrong with social media.
    Author Lierre Keith was attacked at a talk she was giving on her book The Vegetarian Myth by angry vegans wielding a cream pie laced with capsicum, after which she was temporarily blinded--all because they didn't agree with her premise.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Author Lierre Keith was attacked at a talk she was giving on her book The Vegetarian Myth by angry vegans wielding a cream pie laced with capsicum, after which she was temporarily blinded--all because they didn't agree with her premise.
    I like Lierre Keith. I haven't read her book, but now you make me interested in doing so.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I like Lierre Keith. I haven't read her book, but now you make me interested in doing so.
    She and her whole premise were totally debunked. Turns out she was never even vegan. She said while she "was vegan" she "binged on eggs and dairy every chance" she got. In other words, she wasn't vegan. haha

This gent exposes her nonsense here. Worth a watch.

I wonder what her co-hort, Jensen, would say about this since he seems to promote activism and revolution as the best means for change?

I assume the guilty party was tried in a court of law?

Link?

This is the source I guess, it seems somewhat credible as sources go, but it's based on complaints to the police and a youtube.
    https://www.sfgate.com/default/artic...ld-3196299.php

I wonder what her co-hort, Jensen, would say about this since he seems to promote activism and revolution as the best means for change?
    probably the statement made in the article, that they should direct their attacks at the powerful, which is a pretty typical perspective, but doesn't really work for the vegan issue as you can't blame people eating animals and their products on a particular social structure I don't think, you can at most say they eat more than otherwise due to advertising or fast food franchises .. or something ...

The book seems like a radical tract against much of the same as Jensen, that is probably mostly being quoted lifted out of that context (no I have not read it)
    Trees don't grow on money

This is the source I guess, it seems somewhat credible as sources go, but it's based on complaints to the police and a youtube.
    https://www.sfgate.com/default/artic...ld-3196299.php

probably the statement made in the article, that they should direct their attacks at the powerful, which is a pretty typical perspective, but doesn't really work for the vegan issue.
    For those that believe animals have rights Ms. Keith is the powerful.

probably the statement made in the article, that they should direct their attacks at the powerful, which is a pretty typical perspective, but doesn't really work for the vegan issue as you can't blame people eating animals and their products on a particular social structure I don't think, you can at most say they eat more than otherwise due to advertising or fast food franchises .. or something ...
    I'd probably say that the protest was not against meat eaters, but against the author of a book dissing what they strongly believe in and was promoting the opposite. In terms of protesting against a person or people of power, I'd say that words have power and the words in her book could be significant in some ways, albeit a small audience of subscribers.

But I'm not a big subscriber to activism. It just seemed like a bit of getting a dose of the same medicine a Keith supporter has promoted. The pie throwing seemed to get enough media attention to publicize their issue, but in some ways probably backfired as portraying them as cult radicals.

Thread Information