Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Silly, but eye-opening info-graphic

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Think about a regular vegetarian diet though -- one that includes dairy or dairy & eggs. That is so easy! 95% of restaurants have some good veggie stuff. But the win is huge for both the planet and the animals.
    Huge win, small effort.
    for animals it may be a win, for the planet I've certainly seen stuff that says dairy is worse for the environment than chicken and then one may wonder why they keep ordering the veggie lasagna if what they really want is the roast chicken - for example (except out of concern for animals of course). I think any net win for the environment comes largely just from eliminating red meat, which is an automatic part of vegetarianism of course and not so automatic otherwise. Yes different sources seem to have somewhat different information.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    for animals it may be a win, for the planet I've certainly seen stuff that says dairy is worse for the environment than chicken...
    Link?

Bill Clinton wasn't a carnivore--he apparently was an omnivorous devotee of the Standard American Diet--as is Trump--without much thoughtful eating going on.

The Mediterranean diet was made up of whole cloth by Ancel Keys, who enjoyed holding nutritional conferences on the European coast (Big Fat Surprise, N.Teicholz). I guess you could cobble one together with fish, lamb, pasta, fruits and vegetables, and goat- and sheep's-milk dairy.

I found a vegan diet disastrous, personally, with its glaring nutritional deficiencies. Luckily, I felt ill effects after only a couple of months, so didn't do much damage. I enjoyed my vegetarian fare, and ate lots of eggs and cheese throughout.

Recent research in the field shows that individual gut biomes are key to each person's optimal nutritional profile. From what I can tell, omnivory suits me best--no one kind of food is problematic, with the possible exception of bread in large quantities. I plan to give carnivory a run, but I expect it to be rather boring for the long haul. Eventually, we'll have a "gut-check," and receive a personally-tailored eating plan, I predict.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post

The Mediterranean diet was made up of whole cloth by Ancel Keys, who enjoyed holding nutritional conferences on the European coast (Big Fat Surprise, N.Teicholz). I guess you could cobble one together with fish, lamb, pasta, fruits and vegetables, and goat- and sheep's-milk dairy.

I found a vegan diet disastrous, personally, with its glaring nutritional deficiencies. Luckily, I felt ill effects after only a couple of months, so didn't do much damage. I enjoyed my vegetarian fare, and ate lots of eggs and cheese throughout.

Recent research in the field shows that individual gut biomes are key to each person's optimal nutritional profile. From what I can tell, omnivory suits me best--no one kind of food is problematic, with the possible exception of bread in large quantities. I plan to give carnivory a run, but I expect it to be rather boring for the long haul. Eventually, we'll have a "gut-check," and receive a personally-tailored eating plan, I predict.
    Does evidence matter to you?

Well there's a lot of information out there and I'm not sure I can find that exact information, and there is some ambiguity.

this graphic is by kg of food and has butter and cheese as worse than pork and chicken but one presumably doesn't eat that many pounds of butter, cheese eh one can eat lot of cheese, I would know
    https://www.nrdc.org/sites/default/f...nfographic.pdf

this has cheese as worse than pork and chicken, although that one is by pound of protein and I really don't know how relevant a measure that is assuming one is getting enough protein to survive (anyone in the first world)
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...mpact-on-earth
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Well there's a lot of information out there and I'm not sure I can find that exact information, and there is some ambiguity.

this graphic is by kg of food and has butter and cheese as worse than pork and chicken but one presumably doesn't eat that many pounds of butter, cheese eh one can eat lot of cheese, I would know
    https://www.nrdc.org/sites/default/f...nfographic.pdf

this has cheese as worse than pork and chicken, although that one is by pound of protein and I really don't know how relevant a measure that is assuming one is getting enough protein to survive (anyone in the first world)
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...mpact-on-earth
    I doubt down that cheese is worse than pigs or chickens. Thanks for the links! I always appreciate new info.

Bill Clinton wasn't a carnivore--he apparently was an omnivorous devotee of the Standard American Diet--as is Trump--without much thoughtful eating going on.
    Possibly semantics, but I'd call the standard american diet carnivorous.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Calling people who ate the standard American diet "carnivores" used to be easy to understand.

But now, Rogar, there are people who are literally carnivores. They eat meat and only meat. So I think the new slang term is "omni."

I suppose some guy made some money by selling a book and promoting some sort of Med diet by his standards. Here's what the Mayo Clinic has to say, if you trust a degree of medical science and want a broader description.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...t/art-20047801

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I would differ--carnivorous diets, like those eaten by the Inuit and Masai and modern people emulating them, avoid plant-based foods entirely. Obligate carnivores like cats, do likewise.

Thread Information