Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: K2, heart health, and osteoporosis

K2, heart health, and osteoporosis

This came across my twitter feed this morning:

K2 Butter et cetera excellent for your heart K2.jpg

And the following article expands on it:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...k2#bone-health

So you can eat butter and gouda to your heart's desire (see what I did there?).

Thanks--interesting studies.

Rich animal sources include high-fat dairy products from grass-fed cows, egg yolks, as well as liver and other organ meats (30Trusted Source).

Vitamin K is fat-soluble, which means low-fat and lean animal products don't contain much of it.

Animal foods contain the MK-4 subtype, while fermented foods like sauerkraut, natto and miso pack more of the longer subtypes, MK-5 to MK-14 (31Trusted Source).
    I'm into the grass-fed beef, egg yolks (amazing how we were duped for years into believing that egg yolks were bad for us), sauerkraut, and miso. Happy to eat lots of any of those things.

It's good information for me, as I have osteopenia and a touch of osteoporosis in my lumbar spine.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I always say my love of eggs and cheese served me well when I followed a vegetarian diet. I'm planning on stocking up on cheese (gouda!) and eggs today. I'm down to one egg, and I usually panic when I'm down to a dozen. Also, I've got what I need to make some fermented foods, and I'm going to reacquaint myself with liver. If it kills me...

I remember reading a study some years ago showing that older women who ate the most protein had the best outcomes for building bone. Makes sense to me, as protein is the body's building material.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I always say my love of eggs and cheese served me well when I followed a vegetarian diet. I'm planning on stocking up on cheese (gouda!) and eggs today. I'm down to one egg, and I usually panic when I'm down to a dozen. Also, I've got what I need to make some fermented foods, and I'm going to reacquaint myself with liver. If it kills me...
    When I worked at Union Carbide for 3 miserable years, the best thing about working there was the cafeteria and once a week they had mixed grill--beef, sausage and liver. It was the only time I had liver regularly and it was delicious--maybe try making mixed grill at home? (With lots of onions, of course)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    When I worked at Union Carbide for 3 miserable years, the best thing about working there was the cafeteria and once a week they had mixed grill--beef, sausage and liver. It was the only time I had liver regularly and it was delicious--maybe try making mixed grill at home? (With lots of onions, of course)
    I have eaten liver--my long-lived father was a fan--and I think you're right--lots of onions fix anything. Also, I can make a chicken liver pate', because garlic, ditto.

Onions and garlic, those are the saviors of food.

My mother used to make the most amazing liver loaf, from the Joy of Cooking cookbook. Will see if I can find it--it was everyone's favorite one summer, back around 1974.

Okay, on the trail of the recipe, found this, which you should all like:

https://voices.revealdigital.org/?a=...-------------1

I used to make liver loaf for my cat, though I never tasted it.\
    Thanks for the link!

Enjoy liver and onions with bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Enjoy liver and onions with bacon.
    Bacon is another of those substances that makes everything better, that's for sure.

Thread Information