Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Commander In Chief

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    I think Trump's perception of the military isn't conditioned by knowledge of the actual military, but by movies about the military. Specifically, Sylvester Stallone and Chuck Norris movies. In the movies, mavericks who flout the rules are heroes. In the real military, they are dangerous.
    Good point.

This thread should be titled the nutcase in chief.

I've wondered how much talk radio hosts are influencing presidential decisions. Unsubstantiated rumor I read somewhere is that his decision was something he picked up from Fox news, although I'm sure he took some relish in proving his power over the military.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I've wondered how much talk radio hosts are influencing presidential decisions. Unsubstantiated rumor I read somewhere is that his decision was something he picked up from Fox news, although I'm sure he took some relish in proving his power over the military.
    He was raised, groomed, and validated on the media, basically. So of course, he is going to be influenced by the media when it comes to decisions that are going to impact everyone in the world. He has not undergone the training, experience, and discipline (nor the willingness to listen to those that have) that governs military decisions. He's like a kid playing Stratego.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Probably influenced more by right wingnut media than the Russians, but we do love blaming external enemies.
    Trees don't grow on money

I think Trump's perception of the military isn't conditioned by knowledge of the actual military, but by movies about the military. Specifically, Sylvester Stallone and Chuck Norris movies. In the movies, mavericks who flout the rules are heroes. In the real military, they are dangerous.
    Of all living Americans, about 7.4% have served or are currently serving in the military. By sex, 13.4% of males and 1.4% of females have some level of military experience. By region, the South is represented disproportionately, as are people with other family members who served. It could be we are in danger of developing a military caste.

We can’t know for sure how many of us have bought into such pop culture memes as the soldier as victim, soldier as action hero, psycho soldier or the various flavors of band of brothers schmaltz.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    This Manchurian Candidate stuff is starting to sound a little birtherish to me.
    I think the "Useful Idiot" scenario is far more plausible.

He did attend military school...340px-Donald_Trump_NYMA.jpg Before his bone spurs.

Malcolm Nance has a background in intelligence and counter-terrorism with expertise in Russia and the Middle East. He's written three books on the subject of meddling in our government and elections. The latest is The Plot to Betray America: How Team Trump Embraced Our Enemies, Compromised Our Security, and How We Can Fix It I haven't read that one yet, but first two books in the series leave little doubt that Trump is a willing participant. He may have started out as a "useful idiot."

So an MSNBC personality thinks Trump has been a Russian asset since 1977. Why do we need to concoct all these perfervid fringie conspiracy theories? Isn’t it enough that he’s an idiot, useful or otherwise?

Personally, I will be more comfortable when he’s no longer CinC, but I doubt the value of b- movie plot lines in getting us there.

Thread Information