Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Commander In Chief

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    So an MSNBC personality thinks Trump has been a Russian asset since 1977. Why do we need to concoct all these perfervid fringie conspiracy theories?
    Heck, that whole theory was probably planted by the Russians, just to stir the pot :-)

So an MSNBC personality thinks Trump has been a Russian asset since 1977. Why do we need to concoct all these perfervid fringie conspiracy theories? Isn’t it enough that he’s an idiot, useful or otherwise?

Personally, I will be more comfortable when he’s no longer CinC, but I doubt the value of b- movie plot lines in getting us there.
    So, I'm interested in knowing what the conservative camp here plans to do in 2020. It's obvious that not too many people here (at least the ones that have been open about their opinions) think Trump represents our country well. What are you going to do? My DH's theory is that people don't want to admit that they vote for Trump, and they'll pan him publicly but vote for him privately. Maybe that's just a NE thing. My DIL bought DH a MAGA hat back in 2016 and he wouldn't wear it--he was too embarrassed to, but he he still voted for Trump. He says that's how Trump gets in--by those who defy the polls and defy the outward signs of his appeal or lack of it.

What are y'all gonna do? If he's the useful idiot of a very large segment of the population, will he still be as useful in 2020? If not, what next--unless you want Joe Biden or Bernie or Liz or Pete in the WH?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Heck, that whole theory was probably planted by the Russians, just to stir the pot :-)
    Or the Chinese. Now that they’ve brought the NBA to it’s knees, they’re looking for fresh fields to conquer.

Or the Chinese. Now that they’ve brought the NBA to it’s knees, they’re looking for fresh fields to conquer.
    It must be difficult for folks who are writers for The Onion these days - it's hard to keep up with all the real life wackiness.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    So, I'm interested in knowing what the conservative camp here plans to do in 2020.
    It doesn't matter how I vote for President here. This state goes establishment-Democrat so strongly that I could vote for anyone and it'd get lost in the noise.

Which frees me to vote for whatever 3rd party candidate seems moral.

Or to not vote at all, so as not to lend my complicity to a ridiculous system.

So, I'm interested in knowing what the conservative camp here plans to do in 2020.
    I don't know yet what I'm going to do, it depends greatly on who the Democrats choose as their candidate. If it's someone who promises to provide free this and free that in exchange for my vote, they're not getting it. If it's someone who is ok with the erosion of the inalienable rights this country was founded on, they also do not get my vote.

If my only viable choice is between someone like that and Trump, well Trump it is. I'm not easily embarrassed so his antics don't inflame me as much as they do to so many others. As long as he doesn't tell me what I must believe and who I must admire or berate me for not willingly volunteering more of my assets to support agendas I don't necessarily subscribe to I'll stick with him.

The ball's in the Democrats court. What are they gonna do with it?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

What are y'all gonna do?
    Probably write in Romney or Haley when I vote in the Wisconsin primary. Is Elise Stefanik old enough to run?

In the unlikely event the Democrats cough up a remotely acceptable candidate from among the one percenters, I might consider them in the general. If they nominate one of the wealthy establishment revolutionaries in the pack, I’ll probably vote Libertarian again.

What’s a free market, classical liberal, natural rights, deficit hawk, constitutionalist Burkean individualist government minimalist dinosaur like me to do in these parlous times? The Democrats seem to be spinning out of orbit into redistributionist class war identity politics and gimcrack wonkery; and the Republicans seem to be sinking into a populist Slough of Despond.

It may be time for a new Conservative party.

It may be time for a new Conservative party.
    I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I'm in.
    Good, we’ll need wealthy backers. Mention it to Bezos next time you have lunch. Offer him naming rights for the next state admitted to the Union and making porch piracy a federal offense. I had high hopes for the Modern Whigs at one point, but they seem pretty moribund.

I think we should stand for free markets, limited federal power, and a sound currency. I’d like to see Supreme Court term limits, but I’m not a fanatic about it. We should push for a balanced budget amendment and federal adoption of Generally Accepted Accounting Principals. In fact, we could adopt a motto like “Ex Nihilo Nihil Fit”.

So, I'm interested in knowing what the conservative camp here plans to do in 2020. It's obvious that not too many people here (at least the ones that have been open about their opinions) think Trump represents our country well. What are you going to do? My DH's theory is that people don't want to admit that they vote for Trump, and they'll pan him publicly but vote for him privately. Maybe that's just a NE thing. My DIL bought DH a MAGA hat back in 2016 and he wouldn't wear it--he was too embarrassed to, but he he still voted for Trump. He says that's how Trump gets in--by those who defy the polls and defy the outward signs of his appeal or lack of it.

What are y'all gonna do? If he's the useful idiot of a very large segment of the population, will he still be as useful in 2020? If not, what next--unless you want Joe Biden or Bernie or Liz or Pete in the WH?
    I am always a little uncomfortable in what seems like playing both sides of the fence. I didn’t vote for The Donald, but that doesn’t mean I hate everything he does. I sincerely believe the stock market would not have rebounded as high as it has without him making business friendly decisions for regulations. Some of his other actions are ok.

I am beginning to be so annoyed by the non stop, half witted comments here in the anti-Donald camp that I have, for the first time recently, entertained the notion of voting for him next time around. But I try to take a higher course of action for my country and I don’t think he is the right thing.

Thread Information