Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Obnoxious Uncle Myth

The Obnoxious Uncle Myth

It’s that time of year again where the media is full of advice on how to deal with your retrograde racist climate change denying Trump supporting sexist nationalist cis-gendered homophobic deplorable bible-clinging gun-fondling uncle at Thanksgiving. My question is do such creatures really exist? And why always uncles? Certainly there must be many nasty Aunts or cousins or in-laws who would serve just as well as strawpersons to denigrate. Why is uncle-shaming the narrative prop of choice to own, destroy or eviscerate? Are our chattering classes so void of imagination?

Maybe I’m too sensitive because I’m an Uncle myself, but even a troglodyte like me knows enough to check my avuncular privilege at the table. Are there really families that hold ideological debates over the yams?

I say, just enjoy the holidays. If you don't want your family at the table, don't invite them, but I suggest you do.. they are your family--sometimes that transcends politics and religion and lifestyle choices--not always, so just stop whining and enjoy the day with people who are happy to be at the table with their ken, regardless of religious or political beliefs. Lighten up. Be happy you're not eating Ramen noodles alone on Thanksgiving.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have an Aunt like that. My Uncle used to be like that, but he achieved a certain measure of enlightenment recently.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I say, just enjoy the holidays. If you don't want your family at the table, don't invite them, but I suggest you do.. they are your family--sometimes that transcends politics and religion and lifestyle choices--not always, so just stop whining and enjoy the day with people who are happy to be at the table with their ken, regardless of religious or political beliefs. Lighten up. Be happy you're not eating Ramen noodles alone on Thanksgiving.
    Fortunately in my family political discussions mainly take the form of pothole comparisons.

I had a drunken, racist, sexist uncle; fortunately he's long dead.

I had an uncle who was literally nuts, but I have good memories of him, too. Also one who was a war hero.

And I had one who was the governor of a small state. He was pleasant enough.

I guess the stereotype comes when some people (mostly older white males) get very fixed in their beliefs and refuse to budge or hear someone else's opinion whether at the dinner table or any other place they can find to vent.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I guess the stereotype comes when some people (mostly older white males) ...
    White. Really?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    White. Really?
    Well you're really not allowed to attribute undesirable traits to any other racial or gender group are you? It's white males or nothin...
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information