Thread: New U.N. climate report offers ‘bleak’ emissions forecast

New U.N. climate report offers ‘bleak’ emissions forecast

It is about to get interesting...

"Global emissions are expected to keep climbing despite promises from almost 200 nations to address climate change, propelling temperatures upward and threatening to shatter the threshold of 2°C that scientists say would invite dramatic changes to ecology and the economy."

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019...sions-forecast

I wonder how this will go over.

On Friday, at the 20th World Congress of the International Association of Penal Law, Pope Francis said he was thinking about adding “ecological sin against the common home” to the catechism, the book that summarizes Catholic belief. “It is a sin against future generations and is manifested in the acts and habits of pollution and destruction of the harmony of the environment.”

Some theology experts think the pope’s interest in the environment is a reflection of his social justice beliefs. “Climate change will impact the poor and marginalized first and worst across the world who have the least capacity to adapt or to recover from disasters,” associate professor of theology at the College of St. Elizabeth said, “It’s viewed not as an environmental problem, but an environmental and social problem.”

https://grist.org/article/the-pope-m...holics-listen/

"On Friday, at the 20th World Congress of the International Association of Penal Law, Pope Francis said he was thinking about adding “ecological sin against the common home” to the catechism, the book that summarizes Catholic belief. “It is a sin against future generations and is manifested in the acts and habits of pollution and destruction of the harmony of the environment.”

Good! I hope he does it! Anything to help even a little!

Edited to add: People have done a lot of things in the name of religion. Maybe some good can actually come of it.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

It's been clear for at least a decade that what was needed was a massive, WWII-level mobilization of resources to cut carbon emissions, stabilize population and transition to sustainable energy sources. Didn't happen, ain't happening, and ain't going to happen. During the next decade some progress will be made, mostly in the rich, industrialized world, but it won't be enough. The planet is literally on fire in places already and the "methane bomb," is going off as arctic permafrost melts, releasing huge amounts of a greenhouse gas 20 times more potent than CO2. The polar icecaps are melting faster than even the most pessimistic scientists predicted, raising ocean levels and reducing reflected sunlight. It's a runaway train.

Humanity will survive--we are nothing if not adaptable. But it won't be pretty. Large swathes of the planet are rapidly becoming uninhabitable (some heavily populated places, like parts of the Middle East, are now routinely seeing summer temps in the 120s). In a few decades, if not sooner, the rich nations of the world will face the dilemma of how to deal with millions of climate refugees--one guess as to which option they will choose.

I suppose there remains the chance that technology will somehow save the day, that some genius will invent a machine that sucks CO2 out of the atmosphere and turns it into clean-burning fuel. But unless that happens, the future is going to be a lot more Mad Max than Star Trek.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    "On Friday, at the 20th World Congress of the International Association of Penal Law, Pope Francis said he was thinking about adding “ecological sin against the common home” to the catechism, the book that summarizes Catholic belief. “It is a sin against future generations and is manifested in the acts and habits of pollution and destruction of the harmony of the environment.”

Good! I hope he does it! Anything to help even a little!

Edited to add: People have done a lot of things in the name of religion. Maybe some good can actually come of it.
    I have read the Pope's encyclical, Laudato Si', and it appears that his approach is really based on the idea that the world is sacred, the universe is sacred, and the world's creatures are sacred. While he definitely leans towards "Liberation Theology" and also supports many social justice causes, in this case, I truly believe he abhors unfettered capitalism and a pro-consumerist paradigm that renders our natural world into nothing but a pile of resources to be mined and exploited.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Humanity will survive--we are nothing if not adaptable.
    And that's the bad news ...

I mean does anyone want such a humanity to survive? One's loved ones, yea sure, but if they aren't to be among those who do anyway. I don't know, I'm not that narrow generally, but I won't be moved to any concerns of anything if say 1 million people survive out of 7 billion. Because altruism etc. just don't matter at that point. I just wish other species could get on without us. I suspect those that survive will be like that Victor Frankl quote here recently.

happy thanksgiving, no my mood isn't particularly bad
    Trees don't grow on money

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I have read the Pope's encyclical, Laudato Si', and it appears that his approach is really based on the idea that the world is sacred, the universe is sacred, and the world's creatures are sacred. While he definitely leans towards "Liberation Theology" and also supports many social justice causes, in this case, I truly believe he abhors unfettered capitalism and a pro-consumerist paradigm that renders our natural world into nothing but a pile of resources to be mined and exploited.
    what is really interesting about this is it reflects a lot of simple living principles. Live simply so others May simply live.

This stance also reflects a lot of Buddhist principles. But there is also a lot of controversy about adopting Buddhist and eastern philosophies. Even Yoga is controversial for Catholics.

https://joyintruth.com/should-catholics-do-yoga/

Thread Information