Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Holidays

I worked Christmas and Thanksgiving for years, and breathed a hearty sigh of relief when I finally had enough seniority to avoid doing so. I don't have much of a problem with people having to work, as long as they're getting fairly compensated.

So had leftovers at my friends and we played cards for hours. We had so much fun! Between my sonís and them I wonít be cooking for awhile. Turkey is my favorite meat.

So thanksgiving itself I did with bf's family and did not host, and it ended up in humiliations I didn't even expect coming from nowhere. And I'm 5 years old again.

Day after thanksgiving I tried to do with my family as I planned it. But they flaked, claimed to be sick (might be, it is sick season afterall, might be faking it). This upsets me very little, as all the years I've been dealing with my family, nothing really surprises me. Expect disappointment and you won't be disappointed. Besides they disappoint but they don't humiliate so much.

So me and bf are left eating a 13 lb organic turkey we made ourselves (well turkey needs to be cooked sometime, it's not gonna keep forever, nor was it that cheap, can't waste it at this point ...). Oh there are leftovers. And all this despite all the lobbying I did. Lobbied for maybe making lasagna instead, no the people who want turkey want turkey. Tradition! Asked if a turkey breast will do. No a whole turkey is preferred, ok maybe someone likes dark meat. Went to 4 stores and drove 10 miles or so just looking for turkey and other ingredients a few days ago. Ok, I don't really love turkey but then I don't hate turkey.... I've got a lot of turkey. I don't really like going to restaurants either, much of the time I hate it, there are only a very few restaurants I don't dislike, going to restaurants is mostly something I do to please others sometimes. Nor with my family could we *ever* agree on the restaurant choice without acrimony either, so it hardly solves anything. But what's wrong with a nice homemade a veggie lasagna anyway? Noone invited dislikes or doesn't eat lasagna ..
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

ApN, I think that’s the last time I would try to please either family. Sounds like a movie and dinner out to a place you do like would be better or inviting friends over.

ANM, that sucks. I'm so sorry. Come to VT next year with your bf.. We would love an organic turkey.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information